Do you think the IPAD 2 will be able to play HD mkv, avi videos?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by y2flyy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. y2flyy macrumors member

Obviously no one will know for sure until Friday. I was hoping some expert could speculate as to IPAD 2 ability to play HD mkv (via apps like VLC, Buzz) due to the new IPAD's dual core chip and upgraded graphics?

This would be a huge deal for me (Although I'm getting the new one regardless), if it did support these videos I will get the 64gb as opposed to 32 or 16.

The ipad could not play MKV, avi files over 720x576. I did not know if this was a hardware limitation or an IOS limitation.

Thanks!

2. mouthster macrumors regular

jailbreaking an iPad 1 and putting xbmc on it will show that the original is capable of decoding 1080p h.264 just fine. My jailbroken atv2 with xbmc (same a4 chip) decodes 1080p dts sound movies all day long to my home theatre with no hicups. It is the software holding the iPad back.

3. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

Good point, I forgot about xbmc. I have it on my Ipad as well. Do you know how to put a local video onto xbmc (I only streamed from my pc)?

4. mouthster macrumors regular

I haven't tried it but I believe xbmc will let you browse the iPad's file system. So if you enable ssh on your iPad you should be able to sftp into your iPad and copy .mkv's and then browse to that location from xbmc and play your movie.

5. y2flyy thread starter macrumors member

6. dagored macrumors 65816

Will VLC media player work? Have it on my phone.

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

VLC works awesome on the ipad1, don't see why it wouldn't work on ipad2.

8. biosci macrumors 6502a

Can't wait for Boxee too! Only issue is storage. My large mkvs are easily at least 4GB! That would be a horrid USB sync!

9. Meever macrumors 6502a

It works great for standard def. But for anything past it (ie 720) it'll lag or flat-out crash. As someone mentioned the hardware works fine but it's a software issue (in vlc's case they couldn't implement hardware acceleration )