Do You Think The iPad 3 Will Be Available Right Away In The UK?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by -iKris-, Feb 29, 2012.

1. -iKris- macrumors regular

Just wondering when to sell my current iPad...

If I knew that I could get a new one around March 16th I'd ebay it right now, but there's always a chance of a several week difference between the US release date and the UK release date.

What do you think?

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

nope

3. homeboy macrumors 6502

This is a very good question. Looking at the launch of the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S it's clear that Apple are working harder and harder to make their products available as close to launch as possible.

Do I believe that I'll be able to get an iPad 3 in London, the same time as the US? No, but I'm hopeful. Rumours are that Apple have been producing the iPad 3 since January to build up inventory.

My hope is to have one by the end of March, two weeks after launch if I'm lucky.

4. PerfectDB macrumors regular

In the past I think the UK got the iPad 1/2 a couple of weeks after the US launch, which is kind of strange since we tend to get new iPhones the same day as the US. I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true this time.

Then again, there are indications that shipments are heading out to several countries worldwide ready for immediate launch, so this time we may get lucky.

Here's hoping for an early release - I'd hate to have to wait a whole month after the announcement to get my hands on one.:(

5. homeboy macrumors 6502

Given that the iPhone 4S was released in the US and UK at the same time the less demanded iPad should follow suit. The more countries get it at the same time, the quicker Apple can kill the market for speculators who will buy multiple units just to sell on ebay.

6. superduperdom macrumors member

Once a new product is announced it's in Apple's interest to get it out asap. Any time lost is profit lost, since iPad 2s won't be selling while people hold out for the iPad 3 or a price drop in the iPad 2. Doesn't matter with a first generation but after that it does. So I'd put money on a week maybe two in the UK, especially with Tim Cook in charge.

7. homeboy macrumors 6502

Boom, you got it. This time around retailers have been screwed even earlier given that every single news outlet on the face of the planet have announced that a new iPad is due next week.

Consumers are wiser now and everyone knows how to play the Apple game and only those who have been living under a rock will touch a brand new iPad 2 with a barge pole. This is bad for stores with iPad 2 stock and the 3 can't come soon enough.

I'd say product launch top 1 week later for the following:

United States
    Canada
    Australia
    United Kingdom
    France
    Germany
    Japan

PS it would even be shocking if Apple decided to surprise everyone by making it available on Friday the 9th. This will also ensure that people don't camp outside stores for too long. It's bad for business.

8. RobTownshend macrumors newbie

Sell straight away

I sold my iPad yesterday on EBay. Put it on a 7 day auction, and then worried that I'd left it too late, as the other auctions were finishing on lower and lower prices.

Took the decision to sell now and get the best price. Felt I could cope without the iPad for at least a couple of weeks. Although I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms, and I only boxed it up for shipment this morning.

9. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Good question! I sold my iPad on eBay last week (before the goldrush), so I'm just hoping that iPad is released as fast as possible.

With the 1st and 2nd generation iPads around a fortnight after the US, but on the other hand iPhone 4S being released at the same time?

It's anyones guess?! - With the Apple.pro site reporting that Chicago, JFK and LAX are getting shipments, I haven't read anything mentioning Heathrow?

We'll just have to wait and see.

10. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I believe Heathrow is still closed by the snow we had a month ago.

11. Lastof macrumors regular

I'd say it all depends on how much supply they have. If they feel they have enough to launch in multiple markets, I'd expect UK/France/Germany to be the next after the US (and possibly Canada). They will release here as fast as possible.

The iPhone 4 was also released in the UK on the same day as the US, but the iPad 2 wasn't, so I don't think the 4S release is a useful data point for this. Do we have any knowledge on the comparative time it takes to build iPads compared with iPhones? It's possible the iPad takes enough more that supply is significantly tighter?

12. ASKendrew macrumors 6502

ASKendrew

13. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

Haha.

I think Apple will release the next-gen iPad 2 weeks after the US launch.

14. PerfectDB macrumors regular

As fantastic as that would be, it's not going to happen. It would be a logistical nightmare for Apple to stock all their stores with enough iPad 3s within 2 days after the announcement, and that's just in the US alone.

Past trends tell us that the 16th would the most likely date for the launch in the US - Hopefully we'll see a simultaneous release this time around (like with the 4S).

If not, then the next most likely date for the UK launch will be the 30th.:(

That said... I could be wrong (I hope);)

15. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

I sold my iPad 2 last week in preparation, as I can handle time without it. My hope would be that its available over here within 2 weeks of the announcement on wednesday, however realistically I reckon we'll have it by March 31st, whether its two weeks or not I doubt it would be longer a wait than that.

16. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

My mum is buying mine off me when the new one comes out, if she wasn't I would have already sold my iPad 2, you are leaving it a lil late in my eyes if you still have it now. If you can go a few weeks without one, which I easily could. Sell up asap.