Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
This thought has been bugging me. One of the main reasons I wanted an iPad Air 2 was that I assumed the Air 3 could get a higher resolution. I got burned bad by the iPad 3. It's a nice device, but the problems are well documented. Next year I'll be very ready for a new iPad, but I really think we'll see some form of a higher resolution screen.

Assuming the iPad gets an @3x display resolution of 3072 by 2304 pixels do you think the A8X or A9X would struggle?

The iPad 3 had the same A5 chip as the iPad 2, just with 2 extra graphic cores which were more than used by the 2x resolution. The Air 2 has 5.6 times the CPU and 10 times the graphical performance as the A5X so I would think it could handle this resolution smoothly. Do you think a higher resolution iPad would lag/stutter like the 3 did after a few iOS updates?

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not really sure higher resolution is necessary. The current resolution looks super sharp to me and everything scales well. I think extra resolution would require extra processor and battery resources for very little gain.

I would rather see better optimization in IOS for the existing devices. The icons on the iPad Air 2 look ridiculously large. Split screen mode would be useful when you need to access several things at once.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't think the Air 2 would have many problems running @3X currently. The custom eight core (4x2) graphics chip it has right now is a beast. Furthermore, the next line of Imagination chips are pretty insane:

Series7XT and Series7XE GPUs achieve up to a 60% architectural performance increase on the latest industry standard benchmarks compared to equivalent configurations of previous generation PowerVR Series6XT/6XE GPUs

They were also quoted as being able render 4K on mobile, which should more than satisfy any @3X resolution iPad Air 3.

The real question you need to ask is this: "When will it happen?" I'm not sure it will soon. I think Apple is positioning their higher-end devices with the best screens. For instance, look at the MacBooks. No retina on the Air. Look at the iPhones. Higher PPI on the Plus (which I think will get true @3X in a future version so it doesn't have to downscale). I think the iPad Pro will have higher PPI @3X, and with a larger screen I think it will be close to around 4K but probably at 16:10 which is better for toolbars/productivity, much like MacBook Pros. Eventually we're going to get the retina MacBook Air, the @3X iPhone 4.7", etc, but for now I think Apple is comfortable only putting these into higher-end devices for the next couple of years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.