Do you think the IPhone 4 will be able to watch HD movies??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marfox, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Marfox macrumors newbie

Marfox

Will it be able to watch HD movie like the ones you can purchase on Itunes now

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No because that will use so much more battery for not much more quality. HD movies will also take up extra space. I can see this happening a few years down the line when all of the supported iPhones are Retina displays, but not yet.

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I would hope so! I would expect any itunes purchase to play back on my iPhone. Especially the new iPhone.
    If it doesn't, people en masse will be demanding refunds...

4. mbell75 macrumors 6502

No, because 960x640 is not an HD format and its 4:3, not 16:9

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

While I see your point... I'm not so sure. Why? Because you can record HD footage, which is bound to suck more battery than just watching HD. If it can even edit HD footage, why not watch it?

Then again... maybe we can't. Just thinking out loud.

6. kurosov macrumors 6502a

Although the screen isn't quite 720p the device should have no problems playing back HD Video. Keep in mind, the device can play back movies it has recorded in HD.

Also, the 3gs is capable of playing much higher quality videos than listed on the official tech specs.

Aspect Ratio has nothing to do with the "HD" moniker. many movies are filmed in a wider than 16:9 ratio anyway. Letter-boxing will occur but the movie is no less HD.

While it might save a little space to encode a movie at the devices native resolution a little experimentation at higher res should produce a file that can be comfortably played on other devices or even using the TV out function.

7. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Having iTunes' convert for iphone feature updated to convert to the iphones new resolution would be a decent solution I think

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

You can watch 720p movies on the current 3GS, and probably the iPhone 3G.

You have to trick iTunes a bit, but it works.

If you have an HD-SD movie, remove it from your iTunes Library. Drag the SD version into your library. Rename the SD version file in Explorer/Finder. Name the HD version to whatever the SD version was (i.e. you have Movie.mv4v and Movie (HD).m4v. Rename Movie.m4v to A.m4v and rename Movie(HD).m4v to Movie.m4v.)

Double-click the SD movie in iTunes to play it. It should now have an HD flag next to it. Then re-add the SD version to iTunes. The HD-SD tag appears like normal, the HD version plays in iTunes and on Apple TV, but when syncing to iPhone, the HD version will sync over.

9. coolb0yalex macrumors member

doesn't it say its capable on the apple website?

TV and video

* Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

10. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

For this device that's can record 720p HD video and not play HD video is like a car that can fly and go into space, but there's gas tank to hold the gasoline.

I'm sure it'll all look great on the Retina Display.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

A little iPhone aspect ratio info: 4x3 = 1.33 and the iPhone is 10x5 which is 1.50. HD's 16x9 is 1.78. ;)

Now the iPad is 1.33 but the iPhone is 1.5.

12. Iphone4Mac macrumors member

I'm getting the iphone 4 and want to know if there is any difference when converting movies from avi's to my iphone format on the new Iphone 4 than my iphone 3gs...
    Since the resolution is different ..? thanks

I usually use handbrake

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Your avi's are going to be fairly low resolution so you should just keep doing it however you'd been doing it. If you're going to convert from 720p MKVs you'll want to downsize it to the screen's native resolution.