Do You Think The iPhone 4 Will do the same in price as the 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by js111, Aug 23, 2011.

1. js111 macrumors newbie

We all know the iPhone 5 is coming out later this year, and i want to add to my Apple collection with an iPhone. I don't have enough $$ to get an iPhone 4, but the 3GS would work perfectly. But the question bugs me: What if the iPhone 4 takes a good drop in price, as the 3GS did when the iPhone 4 came out? I'm not sure on whether or not to buy it or wait and see, haha.

Thoughts? Thanks!:D

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I think it'll drop in price once the iPhone 5 (Or whatever it will be called) will release.

I think it will follow the iPhone 4 release pricing, where the iPhone 5's price will be as follows:

Lower end: $199
    Higher end: $299.

And the iPhone 4 will be dropped to $99

3. js111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok then i will probably just wait until iPhone 5. It's rumored around October, So shouldnt be that long a wait. Will the plan be the same cost as the 3GS's in your opinion?

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Uh, I don't see why not. If you're grandfathered in, you shouldn't have to worry about the new texting plans.

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The rumors of late seem to be that there will be a cheaper iPhone 4 coming (4GS).
    Possibly an 8GB version. Possibly one made from plastic. Time will tell.
    But if true then it is this phone that I can see replacing the 3GS.
    The iPhone 4 as we know it now may become cheaper or it may be retired all together but I don't see it dropping to the 3GS price point.
    That would also give Apple a few more price points in the marketplace.
    A high and a low-end iPhone 5. A high and a low-end iPhone 4 (assuming it sticks around) and a low-end iPhone 4GS.
    True or not, I really don't see a $99 iPhone 4 as a realistic option anytime soon.

6. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Are you saying you are considering buying the iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 comes out? I would suggest getting the newest version as it will be the best supported with new apps and OS but obviously if you can't afford it I suggest you wait because the price will drop pretty much guaranteed.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The price should certainly go down. Would be nice if it was only $50 for an 8GB version.

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

He's saying that he doesn't know if he should be the 3GS now or wait and buy the iPhone 4 after the iPhone 5 is released, hoping that the iPhone 4 will drop in price.

9. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

In that case YES! WAIT! It will be two months max and the 3GS will not be anywhere near as well supported by what ever iOS comes out next nevertheless iOS 5 this fall.

10. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

What I think may happen is Apple will launch a stripped down version of iPhone 4 unlocked for $299. The iPhone 4 8GB will sell for $99 with 2-year contract, the new iPhone will sell at the current iPhone 4 pricing.

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Pricing is so unpredictable, I wouldn't count on anything till the next model is released. Why not base your decision off of facts instead of meaningless guesswork.

12. js111 thread starter macrumors newbie

True, Vitzr. But the way Apple is, I highly Doubt they would release a plastic version of the iPhone 5. But i agree in seeing them dropping to 8GB, to compete in that price range.