Do you think the iPhone 5 speaker is good enough as a stand alone speaker for music?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

The Blackberry Bold has a great speaker that is sufficient as a stand alone speaker for music.

The iPhone 5 speaker is much improved but bass is still weak.

Thoughts?

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

3. emma777 macrumors member

It's louder but did anyone find that the iPhone 5 speaker sounds thinner or tinnier? That's what I've noticed coming from the 4S.

4. hkfan24 macrumors regular

No phone is good enough as a stand alone speaker in terms of using for entertainment. The word cell phone and bass don't go together. Only way to achieve bass or even mid bass in a speaker is through a thicker cabinet/housing design.

5. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm wonder how this can be done

6. Shorties macrumors 6502a

iClarified did a volume test on the iPhones and found that the iPhone 5 was the loudest. But since the iPhone only has one speaker, I would say no, it is not good enough as a standalone speaker for music, it works when necessary, but real speakers will always be the best option.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It depends on what you want. Loud thumping bass you won't have, but if you want something on your desk that music comes out of then it's fine. Folks I know have the music turned down very low to drown out background noise. But if you are listening for the enjoyment of listening to music then I'd be surprised if many people are using the built in speaker. But if some music is better than no music then go for it!

Slightly OT: The best speaker on a phone I ever heard was on a Nokia E61. That thing might make Bieber sound good.

----------

You could try to stuff it full of polyfill. :p

8. Johnnyiphone5 macrumors member

I got one of these braeburns. Gonna test them out when they show up an report back.

[​IMG]

9. hkfan24 macrumors regular

You don't need to wonder. It won't happen. Phones are getting thinner, not fatter.

----------

LOL, I think in this instance it will just lower the volume rather add a back baffle LOL.

10. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

I recently got a 4S and was surprised by how good the speaker sounded (my iphone 4 speaker sounded crappy). I dont use my headphones at my desk anymore. Also ordered a bluetooth speaker (SoundLogic USB Rechargeable Mini speaker). Have not tested mine yet, but it sounded great when my friend was using one recently.

From specs and tests that Ive seen online, the iphone5 speaker should suffice unless you have to have high fidelity audio.

Disclaimer: Im not an audiophile. :p

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I don't even use it as a stand alone speaker when in my car. I have to hook it to bluetooth or else struggle with the volume.

13. madsilencerr macrumors member

The only phone that is great as a standalone speaker for music is a samsung beat dj which features bang&olufsen speakers.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Almost all of this guys posts are about this dock. Something is fishy....

15. Johnnyiphone5 macrumors member

Lol. It's because apple isn't releasing a dock and my griffin air curve is godawful looking. I listen to talk radio just about all day at my desk. Paranoid much? You realize that whenever a new device launches people flock here right?

I spent the last 2 weeks here watching the preorder threads and when I saw the post where Phil Schiller said they weren't making docks I knew it was time to find a third party.

When I posted for the first time ever someone accused me of fishy business. I've been lurking here since 2007 and except for antennagate I haven't been compelled to post. I guess 5 phones with docks and a new 5 without one got me a bit OCD and I have been waiting for others to chime in.

I agree tho. For anything with real bass there is no substitution for a real stereo.

Lighten up! Life is too short to bicker online.

16. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

Are you kidding me?! Any phone speakers are too small to listen to music. I use four, 3 foot tall speakers for my computer and iPod

17. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

It's quite okay to be honest. Not as good as the HTC's Beats speakers but it will do just fine for me. For occasional use, iPhone's speaker can be loud enough in certain environment.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Kids these days...

[​IMG]