do you think the Iphone is more marketed to nerds/internet addicsts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bazookafx3, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

Over the past few weeks with the building Iphone hype ive relized that the Iphone is ment to be in the hands of those who are on the internet more or recive their info better. For example everytime the iphone is brought up in a conversation at work many people have very misconstrued ideas about it, as in: 'the new one only has 3 gigs of storage' 'It adds another $60/month to my plan' 'All iphones are ment to break after 3 months' 'you cant save contacts without a computer' and heres my favorite: 'the iphone sucks' (and they have nothing to back it up) In my understanding either apple has done a HORRIBLE job at marketing to everyone or done a GREAT job at marketing to the people who need it most... any one else?

2. londondude macrumors regular

yes and dont forget to add mac fans to that list.

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

The iPhone is meant to be a global device.

Like any other global device, it too has a global market.

No, in my opinion, the iPhone's marketing campaign is not aimed more at 'nerds/internet addicts',
    but at anyone who;

1. Wants it.
    2. Can afford it.
    3. Will use it.

This could span from 10 year old kids with rich mums and dads,
    to the London commuter.

The world over.

R-Fly

4. Nicholie macrumors regular

The iPhone has primarily three average buyers

1) The Hipster - Just buying iPhone because its "cool".
    2) The Mactivist - Has/Wants Apple hardware, and the goodness of OSX style life
    3) The Ogler - "I can't help it, its just sooo beautiful."

I fall into all three :(

5. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

1 + 2 + 3 = nerds with good jobs

6. bjquach macrumors 6502

Myspace, facebook, plus college students. You have no idea how many college students I see with iPhone.

7. pointycollars macrumors regular

Nerds with money... Totally true. I work at a design firm and there's a cult of iPhones among the nerds here. It's all they talk about over lunch, gets rather tedious sometimes :)

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yes, nerds with money, or nerds with parents with money. because who would spend upwards of 3 thousand dollars for a 2 year phone and contract

9. MojoWill macrumors 6502

and you never join in :p

10. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

Or nerds with adequate jobs... I work at a movie theater and have scrounged up enough money for the Iphone 3g and and data plan... Then again the only other thing my parents make me pay for is gas (Im 17btw, not a bum w/ my parents)

11. pointycollars macrumors regular

Haha no. I don't really need or want an iPhone. Lovin' the motorola phone I got for $20 from T-Mobile :). I'm one of those people who just uses a phone for ... making phone calls. Imagine that! And maybe text messaging.

The good thing about having a phone that I virtually got for free (for a contract extension), is that I wouldn't feel bad if I dropped it, damaged it or lost it. If I were using an iPhone, that's a big risk to take, since I have my phone in my pocket at all times.

12. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

I'm more of an information/music addict. I don't like to show my iPhone off due to theft and whatnot, but it's great to have if you're in a safe area and you want to read the news or whatnot. I kind of like the status of having an iPhone, but eventually a good amount of people will have one, so who cares?

13. spinalman macrumors newbie

It is a phone that does everything better than any other phone. It costs £100.

To me that means it appeals to everyone who wants a phone.
    End of....

except that it is also the best MP3 player , the best web mobile browser, and it has a GPS system, and will be a games platform and is a stylish piece of design.

The only people that it won't appeal to are the geeks who think that a Nokia this or LG that is soooo much more flexible for some niche activity. If these competitors were so wonderful, then everyone would be browsing the net and uploading their images etc....and as the statistics show... they aren't.

Rest assured, the O2 online debacle is nothing...this is going to be big, and when the 25 iPhones have been sold in each store by 7:25am there will be national frenzy to get more.

14. tritonj macrumors 6502a

all Apple products are marketed towards the hipsters, that is how they got the market share they have now, it is a fashion accessory, and their computers and monitors are furniture. they tried doing the nerd and mac fan thing years ago and it didn't work, when they changed to market it as being "cool" and "hip" is when apple stores starting popping up and everyone started buying one because they got it in their head that is what you should get. it's like buying furniture at ikea

15. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Good, more for me at launch. :D

Well quite a few people have cell phones already. For me to get an iPhone, it's the $200, plus $30 every month for data, which is $720 over two years, which I can afford. The voice plan and text plan are negligible because I need to have those regardless of whether or not I have an iPhone.

16. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I whole-heartedly agree with this analysis.

I'm still buying one though, come Friday.

R-Fly

17. pointycollars macrumors regular

All true, it's a great device. However, it doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone who wants a phone. Not everyone feels the need to be on the internet all the time, have a GPS or a mobile game platform, or pay the extra money for a data plan, so I think there will always be people (like me) who are just not interested in the device.

18. spinalman macrumors newbie

Why would anyone buy a Nokia or Sony now? The designs have always been poor....why tolerate such clunky bloated unintuitive frustrating slow ugly ways to use a gadget?

come to think of it....

Why would anyone buy Windows now? The designs have always been poor....why tolerate such clunky bloated unintuitive frustrating slow ugly ways to use a gadget?

19. spinalman macrumors newbie

OK... delete all the extras I mentioned. It is the best phone and only costs £100. Why buy anything that does a worse job?

20. yummyporky macrumors newbie

I think their marketing towards NORMAL people has been quite successful, the price has been the sticking point to most of the people, as seen on this video

21. pointycollars macrumors regular

Cause you still have to buy the data plan to go with it :) And there are cheaper phones that do just as good a job. My phone is wonderful! Sometimes it just comes down to cost.

22. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

it's made for everyone..nerds, fanboys, newbies...the point of the Iphone is to change the way society functions...all are welcome

23. Jacksmith121 macrumors newbie

I think it's for everyone. not just geeks. most of my friends barely used the Internet, or knew anything about a computer but since things like facebook, myspace, messenger, have become so massive internet on a phone is a great way to communicate, coupled with youtube which everyone seems to be watching, add into that not having to carry an mp3 player with you and it already syncs to their Itunes from their old Ipods. It's not only geeks that use the internet these days, or gadgets for entertainment purposes.

24. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

The only people I see with an iPhone here in the UK seem to be people with a technological nouse. The "average" person doesnt really know what an iPhone does, but that its an expensive "shiny" piece of kit.

Must admit I didnt know what the iPhone really did and was like until I actually took the chance and bought one.

iPhones are strange really, I think once you get one your in and your hooked;
    if you havent got one then you dont really know what its about, your not really bothered and your wondering why your mate keeps on going on about it :)

25. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I'm getting my own plan because I'm a nerd who needs his gadget pr0n. My dad doesn't get the idea of internet and email on the phone. He says "I've gotten by for years without internet and email on my phone! Why would anyone need that?" then I said "You also got by for years without a cell phone. Why do you need that?"

Times are changing. I don't think us nerds are the only ones who want instant information.