Do you think the new iMac HDD can be replaced by yourself if it fails?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Oct 23, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

It is usually the ting that first goes out usually within a few years from what I've read a lot. Do you think with this new screen it'll be hard to get into?

2. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Probably, because its likely they now assemble the glass and LCD together physically, whereas before the glass was attached with magnets. I'm sure its doable, because the things need to be serviced.

Keep an eye on iFixit.com, where they will do a teardown, and OWC, who are in the business of selling upgrades, to see what's involved.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I think it will be a lot harder than it is now. It will probably all be glued together with an industrial strength adhesive.

4. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Actually it depend on how the display is assembled with the Aluminium casing. If they use same kind of magnetic assembling that they used before, I guess it will be slightly easier to access, since now the glass and screen are one part, there is no worry about getting smudges dans dirt behind the glass. However, if its glued together, it will be a pain. However, I don't think they used glue, since it would also be a major pain for their repair service.