Do you think the next MBP will compete in size to the Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefwong, Oct 11, 2013.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

I've been on the fence on a new MB / MBP.

I want the weight of the air - as currently for the last 7 months, I've been literrally travelling 3 weeks out out of a month, running around and the weight savings will be FELT on my shoulders with a *air-esque* laptop.

MacRumor Gurus. Whaddya guys think the new next MBP will be be sizewise compared to the current Air.

I have a fairly loaded up CTO air built ready for *checkout*.
    The ONLY thing holding me back is 16gb of memory

2. maz-o macrumors member

maz-o

I think the next rMBP will be the same size as the current rMBP. But it isn't exactly heavy to carry around anyway.

And I don't think the MBP will ever "compete" in size to the Air. They are different categories, both having their own benefits, and I don't think Apple would ever "compete" them against each other.

3. Xerotech macrumors 6502

The rMBP is perfect. The only issue I have is with the springyness of the keys. Competing with the air would result in loss of space for a more powerful processor, dGPU and heat dissipation.

4. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

When everything goes to retina displays, I think they will consolidate to one Air-sized 13" laptop and one rMBP sized 15" laptop.

I'm guessing that might happen in late 2014. Before that, they may slim the 13" rMBP down from .75" to the .71" of the 15" rMBP. I never caught the reason for that difference.

It will be interesting to see how much effort (if any) Apple puts into the non-retina MBPs in the short term. They could remove the optical drive and Ethernet port and make it as slim as the rMBPs, but I doubt we will see that happen.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Nope. It just got a redesign and thinner last year. The 13-inch rMBP is a great option, only half a pound heavier than the Air. But it may or may not have a 16GB RAM option this year.

6. mslide macrumors 6502a

The next rMBPs will most likely look exactly the same as the current ones. I know how you feel though. I used to be an airline pilot and brought my old MacBook on every trip. I certainly get that when you are always carrying a laptop around and running around an airport that every ounce makes a difference. The question is, do you really need 16GB RAM? If I were still traveling as much as I used to, I'd definitely get the MBA over the rMBP as there's a huge difference when you're traveling that much.

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, I have to question someone who wants a machine the weight/size of the Air but needs 16GB RAM. The 13-inch rMBP is a perfect substitute.

I'm going to be doing extreme amounts of travelling, and even I'm going for the rMBP.

8. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I suppose the neutered 8GB max on the air also was so it would not compete with the MBP lineup..

I guess I'll jump in the Haswell MBP thread and see what's the current news on them.

9. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Me too. The shallow key travel takes a little getting used to.

10. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

The footprint of the 13 inch rMBP is actually smaller than the 13 inch air (have both machines home); I personally don't see real advantages on the air, other than longer battery life, based on how small and light is the 13 rMBP and the lack of the superb retina screen of the air. However, my wife still prefers her Air since saids prefers the slightly lower weight and bigger footprint, even with the inferior screen.