Do you think the resale value of the ipad 3 will go down....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Che Castro, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

After the iPad mini comes out?

If the rumors are true of a sept 12 ipad mini announcement

Do you think it will have no impact what so ever on the iPad 3 resale value, im planning to sell my new ipad to get the mini

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

no
    it will not have the same specs... or no one would by thew new ipad anymore.

you mean IF it comes out right ;)

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

4. Greg. macrumors 6502

Greg.

Resale value will generally fall over time but can't envisage much impact from the iPad mini.

5. garbeth macrumors regular

6. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

I want to get the maximum value thats why im asking the macrumor experts

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

anyones guess is as good as yours..

I personally dont think there will be a mini.
    But they for sure wont have it the same specs as the current one.

the only way your current ipad would loose value is if they released a better one.
    the demand for the new one might go downif they do indeed release a mini, but the value wont.....

8. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I doubt it would make a difference if the rumours are true that is.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

What do you care and why is it so important to you that those of us who want one shouldn't be able to get one?

I don't like iPod Shuffles, but I don't mind if Apple sells them.

10. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I bet it will that first week or two when you will see an influx of people selling their's to 'trade down'. It should even out a bit after that, I imagine.

11. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

It will drop now seeing as you can now get refurbed units through Apple.

12. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

in spite of all the people who are talking as if its already confirmed.
    It doesnt affect me at all (especially since i already own a new ipad), just tired of all the hype and talk as if the ipad mini is already confirmed. people asking stuff like "ipad mini vs ipad 3 specs" should i get the ipad mini or the nexus 7. Think it would be hilarious if it didnt come out after all the hype... just like the iphone 5 last year :p that everyone was so sure of.

13. HERO XXL macrumors regular

I think it would go down--but in a different way than you might be thinking of. Everyone and their mom would have an iPad--and it would no longer be the status symbol many people think it is. As a result, some might go as far as to say that Apple as a WHOLE will lose some of its OWN value, believe it or not!
    I think I'd be game to purchase one if it IS released--but seeing as though we're not getting ANY type of leaks like the ones we're getting with the phone, I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
    I'm tired of all the hype and everything else surrounding Apple and its products--year after year its all the same. Everyone says EVERYTHING, Apple says NOTHING and we all find out when they're ready. Now it's like "Meh." Personally, my stance on it is now "When whatever comes, it comes." I realized with the last phone that I lived up to the iSheep persona that exists--this time is the ultimate test!!
    (Can anyone else admit the same?)
    Time will tell!

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Then sell it ahead of the rumored release date.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You mean like, how everyone said Apple wopuld lose value over time as more and more people got iPhones?

16. HERO XXL macrumors regular

That's exactly what I'm speaking of...no one mentioned, however, how long it would take though--there's always a beginnning to an end.

17. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Sure there are a lot of threads stating that it is a sure thing. But speculation, no matter how rampant, is allowed here as this is a RUMORS site. Get over it and stop acting so childish.

18. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I believe there absolutely will be an impact, although not a large one. The reason I say there will be an impact is that I believe the number of potential buyers will shrink once the mini is announced/released.

I imagine anyone in the market for a used iPad 3 is price conscious, and the idea of getting a brand new iPad (albeit smaller) for a similar price as a used iPad 3 or even less will shrink the pool of available buyers, thus effecting the resale value. As previously noted though, I would not expect the impact to be that significant.

19. Cobster macrumors member

At least talk of the possible Ipad mini has, to Some small extend, put at damper on The speculations of the future Ipad 4.... Why can't people just enjoy what that allready own... If the device honour your expectations and needs - just enjoy it... Instead of just waiting for The next big thing...
    The Ipad rocks... Weather it is 1., 2. Or 3ed generation...

20. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Mini and regular iPad will be too different to influence each other significantly. My guess.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's pretty open-ended, so much so that any analysis is meaningless. The iPhone has been out for 5 years now. is that not long enough for Apple to have "devalued" in the manner you speak? If so, then what is a long enough time? 10 years? 20?

Personally, I think there's good in having more iOS devices in user's hands. I don't want a status symbol, I want something that works, and that allows me to work with other people. Having iOS become more and more common means a greater deal of support by developers and vendors.

Putting it another way: if only 20,000 or so people had iPhones, then sure it would be a great, rare status symbol to have. But I doubt there would be nearly as many apps out there for it, diminishing the usefulness of the devices. In that regard, I'd say that to me, more people using iPads and iPhones makes it (and Apple) more valuable, more iconic, and more recognizable.

This is why market analysts continue to fret over how much market share Apple, Android and other platforms have. Investors want more people using the product. And RIM, for instance, hasn't exactly improved in "value" now that their phones have become less ubiquitous.

22. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

You assume 'people already own' one. Maybe people are waiting til a smaller one comes out to finally invest in one?

23. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

No, but the revised internals of the iPad 3 will. In-Cell LCD with a single light bar, and much cooler running. :apple:

24. HERO XXL macrumors regular

I guess the loss of value would decrease among those who look at Apple in the "status symbol" sense. That's actually what I was getting at. A lot of people see Apple and its products as just that, y'know?

25. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

That's me in a nutshell. Current iPad is too large for my taste.