Do you think the retina display can get any better on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Delighted, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

I wonder this often when I see my friends retina display on their iphone 4/4s. Can this screen get any better? or has apple reached the limits of displays?

2. ap3604, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. tigert07 macrumors regular

That's what I would normally say, but Apple works wonders.

4. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I think it's as good as it would ever NEED to get for the 3.5" screen. If they decide to upgrade to 4", that'd be another story! :D

5. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Screen burn? Ive never heard of screen burn in the AMOLED screens.

This sounds like the people that to this day say you get screen burn in with logos and such on LCD screens which is so not true. That was old,old school. I've had my 37" LCD for 5 years and have no screen burns and dont have any in my 46" either which ive had three years.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Better contrast? And bigger with the same quality.

7. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Sure it could - I would like to be able to see my phone in direct sunlight.

Inside, it looks absolutely phenomenal. Very bright and crisp with amazing viewing angles.

Outside on a sunny day, I can barely see the screen. :mad:

(I have it at 50% brightness, no auto-adjust)

8. ap3604, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  9. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

No, that has nothing to do with it. Auto-brightness sucks. My screen dims randomly if I'm holding the phone sideways and my thumb covers the sensor (like if I'm playing a game or something).

Even on 100% brightness, the screen is not nearly as visible outside as it is inside.

So, your solution is no solution.

10. carlgo macrumors 68000

A screen that works in the sun and doesn't reflect either is something I hope somebody is perfecting. We need this for every kind of device from phones to TVs. Some kind of virtual shade.

11. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Better color. I believe the iPhone 4S only displays about 60% of the color gamut. The new iPad displays 99%.

Better outside viewability.

Response time. Sometimes, the response time on the iPhone display when chilly is very poor.

Haptic feedback? That would be awesome.

12. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502

Organic led tech only has room to improve. So I would've surprised if Apple switched in that direction in the next few years once some of the more outstanding issues have been hammered out.

13. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Colours on the iPhone are pretty poor I think in comparison to other devices. Besides that I don't have many other problems with the screen.

14. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

It is a good screen, but there are a number of improvements they could do.

Anti-reflective surface. Moth eye coatings have just started to appear on top end TVs, which apparently are stunning. Those ones are not suitable for touch screens as the coating is too fragile, but apparently there are similar technologies in development that are suitably robust.

OLED screens can do proper blacks and very fast response times, both beyond current LCD technology. OLED does suffer from burn-in, but is improving rapidly. Sony have shown an alternative called Crystal LED which apparently avoids burn-in. Do not confuse either of these with LED screens which are actually LCD screens with LED backlights.

15. cynics macrumors G3

Better colors. I have a buddy with an S2 and I think pics I take with my iPhone look better on his screen.

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Guy at my office had screen burn on is Galaxy Nexus. He thinks when he had his phone replaced they sent him an ex display maybe?? :confused:

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I want a 3D retina iPhone. Better yet, a holographic display! That would be cool.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's like asking if computers will ever get faster. Yes, they will.

19. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Last time I checked, the auto brightness does not auto dim the screen, even if you cover the sensor or move into a dark room. It will brighten the screen though if it's dark and you walk/move into a bright area.

20. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

You are right. I just tried it out and it's my Android phone that does that I posted above. The iPhone is much more gradual. I just don't like how dim it goes in the dark. However, I did pump it up to 100% when I was out in the sun today, and it's still not as clearly visible as it is indoors.

Auto-brightness aside, I don't know why you guys are arguing against this so much. I'm not the only one who mentioned it in this thread.

Bottom line is the screen could use visibility improvement in direct sunlight. The same can be said about ANY phone screen, really.