Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
The rMBP 13 weighs about 1.58 KG whilst the XPS 2015 weighs 1.26KG (touch version) and 1.18KG (non-touch version) respectively.

If they could shave off 300g from the rMBP, it would be at an ideal weight. When it first came out the rMBP was one of the lightest in it's class but at the moment, it's near the top of the scale.

So do you think the rMBP can get some weight shaven off (maybe with a redesign at sky lake) or are we stuck at this current weight?

bits

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2015
The rMBP 13 weighs about 1.58 KG whilst the XPS 2015 weighs 1.26KG (touch version) and 1.18KG (non-touch version) respectively.

If they could shave off 300g from the rMBP, it would be at an ideal weight. When it first came out the rMBP was one of the lightest in it's class but at the moment, it's near the top of the scale.

So do you think the rMBP can get some weight shaven off (maybe with a redesign at sky lake) or are we stuck at this current weight?

Maybe Apple will touch it a little next year, but I think nothing will change.

They just introduce MacBook - 0,92 kg
MacBook Air 11" - 1,08 kg
MacBook Air 13" - 1,35 kg

They may change keyboard from new MacBook to the whole line next year.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

The 2015 XPS has a MUCH smaller battery. Thats where your difference in weight comes from. In fact, the battery in the 2015 XPS is very close to the Macbook Air (so its not surprising that the weight and dimensions are similar as well).

Overall, XPS is not a good value compared to the 13" rMBP. Its slower in all regards, and the battery is much worse. The only advantage it has is the weight, but that comes from sacrificing everything else. I'd rather see it as a competitor to the MBA than to MBP.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
The 2015 XPS has a MUCH smaller battery. Thats where your difference in weight comes from. In fact, the battery in the 2015 XPS is very close to the Macbook Air (so its not surprising that the weight and dimensions are similar as well).

Overall, XPS is not a good value compared to the 13" rMBP. Its slower in all regards, and the battery is much worse. The only advantage it has is the weight, but that comes from sacrificing everything else. I'd rather see it as a competitor to the MBA than to MBP.

How is the battery worse? On Anand's tests, it is top:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8983/dell-xps-13-review/6

let's see what Anand's rMBP 2015 battery shows.

And in regards to it being slower, how is that even possible? It uses the same class of processor. I can understand the SSD being slower but in regards to raw cpu and gpu performance, I don't see there being much of a difference.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
How is the battery worse? On Anand's tests, it is top:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8983/dell-xps-13-review/6

let's see what Anand's rMBP 2015 battery shows.

And in regards to it being slower, how is that even possible? It uses the same class of processor. I can understand the SSD being slower but in regards to raw cpu and gpu performance, I don't see there being much of a difference.

Ok, first of all, sorry for being not specific enough. Regardless of the battery tests, I was referring to the fact that XPS's battery capacity is 30% lower compared to the rMBP. Dell achieves good battery life by using lower-powered processor variants (15W as opposed to the 28W in the rMBP). Both the CPU and the GPU in the Dell is clocked significantly lower than the rMBP. In addition, the Dell uses a cut-down GPU (with 24 instead of 48 execution units).

To the battery: here is a battery test that includes both the XPS and the rMBP — http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...nce-trailblazing-design-is-showing-its-age/2/

As you can see, the rMBP lasts over 4 hours longer on that test — despite using components with higher TDP. The MBA, which uses the same components as the XPS is even better — but it does not have the power-hungry retina display.

Coming back to the original question: the XPS is not a MBP-class laptop, its an MBA class laptop. So, in perspective, asking about making MBP to as the Dell is a tad strange. Apple already has a laptop that is similar to the XPS, and that's the MacBook Air (which btw uses better CPUs than the Dell). The only (big) downside to the MBA is that it lacks the retina display.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The XPS 13 is pretty amazing hardware-wise. The battery has actually a little less capacity than the 13" MBA's, but still has equal (with the quad-HD display) or much longer (full-HD display) battery life than the MBA and of course the MBP. I believe most of the efficiency comes from the amazing IGZO display. Dell has clearly beat Apple this round IMO. If only it was possible to get a version with 16GB RAM and run OS X on it ...

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
The XPS 13 is pretty amazing hardware-wise. The battery has actually a little less capacity than the 13" MBA's, but still has equal (with the quad-HD display) or much longer (full-HD display) battery life than the MBA and of course the MBP. I believe most of the efficiency comes from the amazing IGZO display. Dell has clearly beat Apple this round IMO. If only it was possible to get a version with 16GB RAM and run OS X on it ...

The Asus Zenbook UX303LN trumps them both...

Intel i7 4510U 2.0GHz
QHD 3200x1800 display
12GB RAM
256GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M with 2GB DDR3
3.2 pounds
$1199

I would love to see a thinner and lighter rMBP 15, or better yet a 16. it can be done.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Ok, first of all, sorry for being not specific enough. Regardless of the battery tests, I was referring to the fact that XPS's battery capacity is 30% lower compared to the rMBP. Dell achieves good battery life by using lower-powered processor variants (15W as opposed to the 28W in the rMBP). Both the CPU and the GPU in the Dell is clocked significantly lower than the rMBP. In addition, the Dell uses a cut-down GPU (with 24 instead of 48 execution units).

To the battery: here is a battery test that includes both the XPS and the rMBP — http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...nce-trailblazing-design-is-showing-its-age/2/

As you can see, the rMBP lasts over 4 hours longer on that test — despite using components with higher TDP. The MBA, which uses the same components as the XPS is even better — but it does not have the power-hungry retina display.

Coming back to the original question: the XPS is not a MBP-class laptop, its an MBA class laptop. So, in perspective, asking about making MBP to as the Dell is a tad strange. Apple already has a laptop that is similar to the XPS, and that's the MacBook Air (which btw uses better CPUs than the Dell). The only (big) downside to the MBA is that it lacks the retina display.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. The rMBP does indeed perform better, I guess we can hope that Apple can somehow make the rMBP slightly lighter as that is my only gripe with it. Perhaps the Skylake refresh will bring about a redesign. I'm still not sold on the MacBook concept. Core M I've been told is as fast as last year's MacBook Air, but one port for everything is a killer.

Can we still hope that Apple do indeed refresh the MBA to make it a bit more like the XPS 2015 or is the MBA doomed?

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I don't know. Battery life seems pretty weak compared to MBP or XPS 13 (up to 7 hours according to Asus). It also doesn't have the amazingly small footprint of the XPS 13 and is quite a bit heavier.

Just depends on what you value more. I'd put up with a little less battery life and a little heavier laptop to have a superior processor, 4GB more RAM and the GPU isn't even close. The Dell is using a two year old one that's integrated and the rMBP is also integrated and nowhere near as good. The Zenbook has a better GPU then the top of the line rMBP 15 that costs twice as much.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just depends on what you value more.
Sure. But this thread is about lightness.
I'd put up with a little less battery life and a little heavier laptop to have a superior processor, 4GB more RAM and the GPU isn't even close.
Sounds like you are after gaming laptop. Personally, I have zero interest in a discrete GPU since I don't play games on my laptop. I prefer an integrated GPU since they typically have lower power consumption.
The Zenbook has a better GPU then the top of the line rMBP 15 that costs twice as much.
You can easily find faster laptops for much less money than the Zenbook as well. Of course, you pay for it with higher weight and size, less battery life and lower build quality.

chaoscarrot

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2015
I went to the Microsoft Store to mess around with a XPS 13 before I officially settled on my rMBP 13 and let me tell you that the hardware and build quality still doesn't compare.

The MBP remains the "be all end all" of laptop build quality IMO. The Razer blade is probably the only windows laptop that is on the same level. I really was not impressed with the Dell's build quality (not that it was terrible, I would give it a 8/10 and the MBP a 9.5). The infinity display is quite nice, but I don't mind the bezel on the MBP in all honesty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.