Do you think the US Gov. should be able to detain US citizens indefinitely w/o trial?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, Jun 20, 2014.

?

Do you think the US Gov. should be able to detain US citizens indefinitely w/o trial?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    96.4%
  1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I don't see the significance of "US citizens". I don't think the US government (or any government) should have the right to detain anyone indefinitely without trial. Furthermore I don't think anyone should be held for an unreasonably long time pending trial, whilst admittedly rare, you hear of people waiting over a year for a trial - completely unacceptable.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no way, Obama is in charge, he would NEVER support something like that , only the "GOP" is like that.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. No government should be allowed/have the right to hold people indefinitely without a trial.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I agree it's what sets the civilised nations of the first world who regard human right as an important aspect of being a nation.

6. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, Pub.L. 112–81. This NDAA contains several controversial sections (see article), the chief being §§ 1021-1022, which affirm provisions authorizing the indefinite military detention of civilians, including U.S. citizens, without habeas corpus or due process, contained in the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), Pub.L. 107–40.[6]

Signed by President Barack Hussein Obama II.

So the constitutional law professor president seems to have missed this thing:

So how is the prospect of indefinite detention of American citizens legal by any standard.

7. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Holy you know what! I was thinking the EXACT same thing!

If it already says you can't do that, then how can they pass a law that says you can and then now you can...it's like what the fuzz?!

----------

You have a great point. This applies to all people of all countries. I just don't think it's humane to lock someone up forever only to torture and abuse them daily. Why not just kill them? They'd probably be happier dead if that's their fate for the rest of their lives.

8. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

DC operates under a completely different set of laws. I literally mean a different constitution altogether.

How long will it take people to realize that the government DOES NOT CARE about the people?

There is no left or right. There is us vs them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVsMUpPgdT0

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

5 years ago you'd be called a paranoid conspiracy theorist, but now based on everything we've learned the last several years, I'd say that you could very well be right! :mad:

10. zin macrumors 6502

If they are so convinced these people would commit crimes upon release then the evidence must be overwhelming. Why doesn't the Government charge them and take them to court?

11. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

That's the big question people are asking.

If they are so convincingly bad, then there should be no problem getting them in jail through our justice system!

You're spot on!