Do you think there will be a 'mass' upgrade for the 'S' phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elgrecomac, Jun 8, 2009.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

For the 3G installed base, do you think there will be a large number of people willing to pay several hundred dollars to upgrade to the latest edition of the iphone or do you think they will wait until 2010's edition when their ATT plan expires. For this group, my suspicion is that most will wait, especially given the economy.

:cool:

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

3. pdmpolishing macrumors member

4. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

5. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

No. There appears to be very little reason to. The only reasons I could possibly understand are for the faster processors and faster HSPDA. However AT&T isn't suppose to roll out those towers until late 09, which most likely means a few large cities will get them in the beginning in '10 (speaking in AT&T terms here).

I was a little worried about apps appearing that can only be used on the 3GS due to the new processing power but it doesn't seem like too much of a boost. I never used video on my old phone, and a compass is just blah.

No reason to upgrade here. If I hold out a year, perhaps apple will have a more substantial upgrade or they'll come out with an iPhone for Verizon since AT&T's deal ends in '10. Signing another contract would just force me to keep AT&T's service for another year. Perhaps if they had some sort of trade in/cheaper upgrade I might have been enticed, but $200 extra for a small upgrade....no thank you.

6. sara123456 macrumors member

I don't think so anyone with a 3g iphone from the day it come out will have to pay around £200 just to get out of contact. Then £184.98 or £274.23 for the phone then £35 a month for 18 months thats around £1100 for 600mins & 500 texts which you can get for £15 a month with a free crap phone :D

Bad times I wanted a new phone as well but times are hard :)

7. bigchief macrumors 6502a