Do you think there's any luck for a better graphics card on 17" unibody MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by infernohellion, Dec 9, 2008.

1. infernohellion macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I am one of the people who already have the money ready (after a long savings) and waiting for the 17" Unibody MBP to be out. But after I have actually tried installing a couple of newer games onto the top 15" Unibody MBP, I found the graphics not to be that impressive. The games I tried are: COD4, COD WAW, RA3, Far Cry 2.

Knowing that the 9600M GT is just a slightly higher clocked, 45nm 8600M GT, it is quite disappointing that Apple has decided to choose this chip for their Pro models. I would have been better if they use 9800M GT which is far more superior and probably "get along" better with the CPU. (I'm no expert on this, correct me if I'm wrong)

Given that the MBPs have always come with the same graphic card for all the models (except the GPU memory), do you think there is a possibility that Apple would choose a more superior graphic card for the upcoming 17" once it becomes available?

Thanks

2. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

In general I am getting the impression that the 15" MBP is becoming more and more a consumer laptop (not offering matte screens anymore seems stupid for a pro laptop), while the 17" is becoming the Pro laptop. I'm thinking of upgrading my Santa Rosa MBP in July when it's 2 years old, I'm not yet sure it's going to be the 15" or maybe the 17". It really depends on what happens to the 17" in the future. If it indeed will get a better GPU the choice will be simple...

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I'd doubt it, hardware differences between the wicked good 15 and the 17 have been minimal. I'd expect again a full HD screen, and not much more, but Apple could just as easily pull something special out for the 17 and offer upgraded graphics, like the 24in iMac.

4. infernohellion thread starter macrumors 6502

Hopefully at least they would offer a CTO upgrade choice on the Graphic card similarly to the iMac.

I'm really craving for a new laptop. My current 2.16GHz 17" MBP's battery just died. Takes 1 month for all Apple Resellers in Thailand to get a new one. (Stupid immigration and customs)

5. BarryWeber macrumors newbie

Hopes for a Matte Screen on the 17"

I just hope they offer the Matte Screen on the 17"
    For graphics and photography work it bothers me to see them adopt all the glossy screens.