Do you think this is a good deal? old MBP, great price. x

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MatLane, Oct 23, 2008.

1. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

2. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I bought one off eBay for $1300 total shipped after $200 cash back from Live.com. Apple has them for cheap, as does Amazon. The only drawback with these models is the GPU problems, but Apple has extended the warranty on that so I decided it was appropriate to purchase one.

3. MatLane thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Yea i head about the GPU problems

but if they extended that then thats gooooood :)

I think its an amazing price, just thought it was too good to be true

4. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Clearance ones do not appear to have defective graphics card

So I just bought my MBP Classic from Apple. I've had it for 5 days now.

A few observations:

1) My computer was made in October, officially outside the date where the apple bulletin says there are potentially GFX card problems. You may also get a MBP Classic built in october, and even if you don't - you've got 2 years of a standard warranty on the GFX card!

2) If you check out this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=586668
    People are discussing some of the amazingly positive experiences they're having with apple's customer service. If Play.com has "the usual" customer service, I highly doubt they will come anywhere near to apple's exceptional customer service. Have you checked the refurbished prices in the UK's apple store? I can't see them because I live in California.

3) Good choice with the MBP Classic!

5. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Did you request one from October? If they are capable of doing that, going right through Apple just became even more appealing!

6. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Okay, one small favor....

Can you prove your MBP "Classic" was built in October and also why that is relevant?

(Apple told me mine was built in the 41st week and can not say why that matters to any detail.)

Oh and I don't believe any of it. Little rumor is that their factories were building some other stuff called the new MBP and Macbook!
    :p

7. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Apparently the ones from October have a new version of the graphics card (rev2) which is fixed.

8. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Well....

So what is apparent? And why would Apple be making ANY old notebooks in October when they were preparing to release new ones?

If Apple couldn't explain to me what difference in my machine that was theoretically made in October from the others, who can?

I view my machine as similarly flawed as the others.
    GeForce 8600M GT:
    Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0407
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 3212

Doesn't make sense but then again.....
    none of the "hope" stuff does.

9. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

You definitely have a point. I'm no expert by any means, I'm just relaying what I found out by reading the threads here.

I have a MBP Classic coming tomorrow from eBay. The whole October theory won't even apply to me. I'm very confident though with the extended warranty, and since I will get AC, I feel even more safe knowing if something happens I will get it fixed properly.

10. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

There is a really cool app. that you can download from here:
    http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutidentitycard/index.html

that tells you when and where my mac was made. Mine was made the first week of october in Shanghai (which btw, apparently has more skyscrapers than the entire west coast of the US combined!).

The support document from apple say that the macbook pro's that might potentially be affected by the nvidia thing were made up until september 2008.

11. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Mac4Obama:

That program isn't highly accurate. The better way to tell is using your serial number.

W8843.....

W8 = China
    8 = 2008
    43 = made in 43 week of 2008

12. Pr0digy Guest