Do you think Touch ID will be "cracked/beaten"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gmhag, Sep 16, 2013.

1. gmhag, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

gmhag macrumors regular

I'm sure it wont be even a day after the 5S is available to the public that professional hacking firms will be trying to figure out a way to beat the sensor.

Given the technology around Touch ID, do you think it will eventually be beaten?

Obvously this is a big gamble for Apple. In past upgrades, nobody tries to challenge that the retina display isnt up to the spec that Apple says it is. If people do find a way to beat it, this will be a huge black eye for Apple.

I'm not hoping that it will be beaten, I just know it is human nature to try. It will be interesting to see all the Youtube videos of people claiming they figured out how to defeat the sensor.

Hopefully the $356 mil Apple spent on AuthenTec was a smart buy.

2. Kurso macrumors 6502

I am on a crusade to make sure people understand the following points before discussing FP sensor.

1) Your fingerprint is not your password. It is a convenient way to autofill your password

2) Your fingerprint is useless without your phone. If someone gets your fingerprint and not your phone they still need your password.

3. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

Lol, no modern technology is "Un Crackable".

It all depends on how difficult it is to "Crack". A good example would be a Game. If a game is Client based, it's very easy to hack. But if it's server based, you would have to hack the servers themselves if you wanted to cheat at the game. This makes it not worthwhile to cheat on said game.

4. Vctr macrumors regular

Super confusing .... the term iTouch has been incorrectly used to describe the iPod Touch for years and now in this post it looks like the term is being used to describe the Touch ID sensor. Can you guys just use the correct term, so I have an idea as to what you're talking about?!?

5. LithePanther macrumors 6502

Super confusing? Um...it was actually really easily to decipher what he was talking about 5 words in.

6. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I thought he was talking about the iPod touch as well. You must be a GENIUS if you figured out he was talking about Touch ID just from "I'm sure it won't be"...

7. gmhag thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry bud, you're right, I fixed it.

8. parseckadet, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I'm sure it will eventually happen that someone with physical access to the device will be able to hack it. Then the internet will be flooded with headlines saying "OMG!!!!iPhone 5S p4wned, thieves already stole your fingerprint!!!111ONE" Thing is, hacks that require physical access don't concern me. The old adage that physical access equals root access will always remain true. All I want or expect out of Touch ID is that it will stop run-of-the-mill thieves, or at least slow them down long enough that I can remote wipe the phone.

But I do doubt that anyone will ever remotely hack the Touch ID system. The only ones who are likely to pull that off are the NSA or other government groups. And if they do manage to, we're not going to hear about it any time soon.

9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Foir eveyone that is worried, you do not have to use the feature and can choose to only use a password.

I have never used a password. I do not leave my phone laying around where it could be stolen and if robbed, there is no sensitive data that they can access due to the Keeper app.

10. LithePanther macrumors 6502

And really....those with physical access to the device could just as easily life your print from the phone casing. Would probably be more useful too