Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
I feel like this would be the last chance until march to announce a new model. Also does anyone know the air time? The article just lists “tonight” but unless I misread the article, it did not provide a specific time.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Sadly, I feel that we would have seen it along with the amazing new AirPods Pro.

On a H U G E plus note, if we wait until next year, then the update could indeed be exceptional, just like when Apple TV 4K was introduced in 2017.

If we wait until next year, AV1 will have been implemented, plus maybe there will be a A13X chip in it along with the incredible HDMI 2.1 and WiFi 6. And especially for me, Dolby True HD as standard on all film bought from the iTunes Store (A boy can hope) :) :) :)

I'm looking on the positive side the this, Apple will not announce a half baked product, so the wait will be worth it :)

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Sadly, I feel that we would have seen it along with the amazing new AirPods Pro.

On a H U G E plus note, if we wait until next year, then the update could indeed be exceptional, just like when Apple TV 4K was introduced in 2017.

If we wait until next year, AV1 will have been implemented, plus maybe there will be a A13X chip in it along with the incredible HDMI 2.1 and WiFi 6. And especially for me, Dolby True HD as standard on all film bought from the iTunes Store (A boy can hope) :) :) :)

I'm looking on the positive side the this, Apple will not announce a half baked product, so the wait will be worth it :)

well if that happens, i guess i can get the apple watch while i wait for a tv to come out

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Damn, seems like we won't get a new Apple TV this year after all. Feels kinda wrong to pay full price for a two year old model now. I guess I'll wait until Black Friday and take the free Apple TV+ as a bonus then.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Damn, seems like we won't get a new Apple TV this year after all. Feels kinda wrong to pay full price for a two year old model now. I guess I'll wait until Black Friday and take the free Apple TV+ as a bonus then.
Thats how I feel. I want one but do not want to pay full price. In Japan there are never sales on apple products. So I am out of luck. I am hoping they do what they did around spring time with the ipad air 3 and announce a new product each day this week with one of the products being a new tv or at least a tv stick

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
well if that happens, i guess i can get the apple watch while i wait for a tv to come out

Yes! I'm not a fan of wearing watches BUT I'd like the Nike Apple Watch for my gym workouts, surfing and cycling/mountain biking :) The white Nike stop with the orange face. I saw Karl Conrad reviewing it on YouTube the other week and the colours that he chose were exactly my choice :)

PS Can't wait for the AirPods Pro. The AirPods work beautifully with the ATV plus I'm looking forward to trying them with Dolby Atmos film on the new iPhones.
[automerge]1572350935[/automerge]
Second thought - there is still time... TODAY! TOMORROW! If not, then we know now the kind of features that are required for it in 2020. The plus side is that they do hold their value INCREDIBLY well. Buy the 64GB one in the Black Friday sale, thoroughly enjoy it for 1 year and then sell it for 100£€¢ on Ebay in a years time :) :) :)

Last edited:

Attirex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Getting a 4k TV and need to replace my ancient 2nd gen model ATV, so confirming consensus is that Apple won't have an updated model for (what remains of) 2019...I have this fear that the second I click "Buy," Apple will announce a new model via press release, "Available today" etc etc and I'll be outraged, etc.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
My money is still on the great absense of HDMI 2.1 chipsets from the market place. This single port would add key features for the next unit - allowing above 60 Hz for the UI at 4K, getting rid of the blank screen on resolution / refresh rate changes, allowing HFR 4K content and allowing for variable refresh rate in Arcade games. An upgrade to A12 chip would no doubt give better performance in games but most people probably wouldn't notice a difference in UI/App performance.

Reactions: sassenach74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.