Do you think your iPhone 5 is 'too light'?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apb89, Sep 27, 2012.

1. apb89 macrumors regular

I think the phone is PERFECT in the size and weight. This is the phone I have been waiting for. My cousin keeps saying that he is going to sell his iPhone 5 because he keeps reading reports of users thinking their phone is 'too light'.

What is wrong with these people? Am I the only one who thinks these people are backwardly thinking? *shrug*

2. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I absolutely agree. I wrote the post below in another thread:

From the various threads/posts here, I was actually expecting it to be lighter but was surprised it's still "weighty" once I got my hands on it. Grab one end of the phone and wave it in the air. Still has good weight to it and nothing like holding a plastic utensil that you'd expect from the comments here. It certainly doesn't feel cheap like the plasticky iPhone 3G/3GS, which is lighter than the original iPhone and 4/4S.

By the way, mine measured 113.33 g, slightly heavier than 112 g per tech specs ("Actual size and weight vary by configuration and manufacturing process"). So it's no Kate Moss and is still a plus-size model :D

3. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

I love the weight of my 4S. I just wouldn't like my hopefully-soon-to-be iPhone 5 feel like I'm holding some plastic android devices. (No offense to any Android users, just my opinion)

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I do think it is really light (almost feels hollow), but that's just because I'm not used to it. The case I got, however, makes it the same weight as the 4S, and actually the same thickness as a (naked) 4S. It made the transition really seamless.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think you'll be pleased. It's not even like holding the plasticky but heavier (133 g) iPhone 3G.

6. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I wasn't too sure about the extra height but combined with the lighter weight it is actually better when just talking on the phone.

7. JCfromTB macrumors member

I think the weight of the phone is ok. I came from a Galaxy S2 which felt like a plastic toy, so anything is an upgrade. I did like the "weight" and solid feel of previous iPhones, but it's not that dramatic.

I also put an Otter Box 'Commuter' on the phone, so it bulks it up a bit.

8. jimmer-uk macrumors regular

he is selling his because others think it's too light?!

9. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Use the iPhone 5 for a week and other smart phones will feel heavy and clunky.

I like small and light phones. I think the lightest I had was 68g. My iPhone 3G felt big and heavy when I got it, but I got used to it (my then girlfriend used to refer to it as the iBrick because of the size, but she ended up getting an oversized Android phone years later).

10. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

No, i think the iPhone 5 is very good in every aspect.

Had to do something on an iPhone 4 today after 6 days with my 5, boy how that thing looks tiny and weighted a ton! Was more than happy to use my iPhone 5 again.

11. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

12. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Yeah. I gave it a thought and it's probably more material related. I mean, it's not the same holding a plastic 100g cube than a 100g crystal or aluminum or even wood cube. (Assuming same size and weights equalized somehow in the inside)

13. appswipe macrumors 6502

Why do iPhone defenders have such little respect for the fact that individual humans have individual opinions. If someone thinks its too light then how would that affect your personal experience!

14. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

It's not. Even though it's lighter, it still has that solid feeling. It feels light yet substantial, if I can put it that way?

15. Slimzee macrumors member

I feel its too light, I don't see the problem with it being a good weight.

I don't want it to feel like a toy.

Whats the benefit of it being thinner? Could they have not used the extra mm to add more juice to the battery?

16. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I really like the size and weight. It's perfect for my hand... then again I have small hands being a chick! My 4s seems like a block now, uncomfortable to hold.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Seriously? I've read that people believe there's such a thing as legitimate rape, that doesn't make it true.

18. madat42 macrumors regular

Went from a 3GS to a 5 and we think the new phones are brilliant in dimension and weight. Maybe all the haters just love the more-glass look and feel of the 4/4S?

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The plasticky 3G/3GS felt like a toy despite being heavier at 133 g so it boils down to material used.

20. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I do prefer the weight/feel of my 4S over the 5.

But I dont really think the 5 is TOO light. I think that's the direction that most phones are going in. I was surprised when I picked up my room mates 5 and felt how light it is. It seems pretty solid despite the frail feel it gives. Like I said, I don't mind the weight of my 4S. It never bothered me, and when I get the 5S, I'll be putting a case on it anyway, so the weight will probably be similar to my 4S.

21. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

IMO it's the perfect weight right now bc when the element cases come out it will look awesome and feel just right. Or any case with a little weight behind it.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If you're coming from the 4S, the light weight will catch you off guard, and be unnerving.

You get used to it after a couple of days and it becomes the new normal.

23. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

That. I actually loved the weighty feel of the 4/4S, as it felt like quality, sort of like the Rolls Royce of phones. I'm on my second day of having the 5, and, though it felt light at first, it didn't feel cheap. I'm getting more used to it by the hour.

I feel like it's a good size.

24. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

You know, people generally pay good money to make something lighter. :)

And frankly somebody who would sell their phone because they "read reports that other people think it's too light", well, do I even need to finish? :)