Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a case on your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 891 66.3%
  • Yes, but will be removing it

Votes: 56 4.2%
  • No

Votes: 302 22.5%
  • No, but will be getting one

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Yes, a very slim transparent one on my 12 mini, as without it the phone is very light and smooth and slips right out of the pockets. I am very careful with my gear, but still dropped it about 3 times over two years. Twice on the hard floor (tiles) and once on the asphalt, when it fell face down. The lip of the case took a chop with this one, yet the phone was totally fine. Well worth it, IMO, as you can get a good quality case for about 10-20€/$ and swap them if needed. Works out better than having to buy AC+ for each device.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Used cases on my X and Xs previously, tried it on 13mini but it is quite felt as an obstacle for typing and swiping at the screen borders (too close and slightly too protruding rubber). So I removed it again and it looks / feels much better again...

I would change the case for the one with smoother borders around the screen.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
i'm carrying mine inside a soft pouch, but it has no extra case or screen protectors on.
no scuffs / scratches / cracks / dents or whatsoever after more than a year (iP13)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It’s about managing risks.

You can either hedge on responsibility or probability. I’m not a gambler.
Neither am I. I trust myself to handle my devices without cases.

Which doesn't mean I don't drop my phones. I'm not perfect. But I do fairly well.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That doesn’t account for other people.
I account for other people by putting my phone away in places where it could get knocked around. I cradle it with my hands in tight spaces. I am aware spatially where my phone is, I set it down on stable and clean surfaces, put something under it if I can't trust the surface. I have designated spots for my phone depending on where I am (desk, car, walking, etc).

All things that using a case means case users don't have to think about. But I think about it - because I don't use a case.

Reactions: Vargur78

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Neither am I. I trust myself to handle my devices without cases.

Which doesn't mean I don't drop my phones. I'm not perfect. But I do fairly well.
You work remotely from home though?

It’s different if you’re in the city bumping into folk on the sidewalk and constantly moving throughout the day in volatile surroundings with many different people brushing past you in a rush.

gerlitzappel

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2004
South Florida
I voted yes, but I use the Utomic Edges. I want to protect my phone but don't like the additional bulk that a case adds, or how they make it hard to pull the phone out of my pocket. These are a great alternative.

Vargur78

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2023
Rather no than yes. On one hand, I understand that if I drop my new iPhone 14 Pro Max, there will be no end to my sorrow. But on the other hand, the thrill of using a smartphone without a case wins. It's a completely different feeling. With a case, it's just one of hundreds of other smartphones."

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
yes, and it's kind of annoying to protect the looks of a phone which you don't see when it's in a case. I'd prefer not to, but apple doesn't build those phones to last.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Yes for me, I use a Benks Kevlar case cause it prevents the phone from sliding out of my pocket when I sit with my legs crossed (cause I’m fancy like that) and to me it looks amazing! Usually I use a plastic screen protector but I’m trying out a tempered glass number because it gives me peace of mind.

JoeDezibel

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2021
My plan ist to upgrade my iPhone Pro every year. So I use cases to make sure the phone is in brand new conditions when I sell it. But!!! The iPhone 14 Pro was so expensive that I will not update anymore.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Yes - I have several (I may or may not have a problem 🤣). I dropped my 13 mini frequently but so far in almost 5 months haven’t dropped the 14 pm once. But still don’t want to use the time (or money)on repairs if I can avoid it. I also like the feel of the phone with a case better
I like the feel of my phone better with a case too.
There's a more positive grip on it between phone & fingers (Gripzilla case).
I feel less likely to drop it, and if I do drop it the damage will be prevented or at least minimized.
Holding a caseless phone is one thing.
Maneuvering it out of a pocket and orienting it as necessary to use it is another matter.

Reactions: LacrosseChic

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
But you walk around with nasty looking beat up case. Never once enjoying the beautiful phone you bought. You keep it prestine for the next guy to enjoy.
No, my case looks good too. I am not one of those people who chucks his phone around because it’s in a case. My case is pristine even though it’s been through a lot. If you drop your phone once on solid ground, there is an exceedingly high chance of a paint chip or a dent or non-superficial damage such as a cracked screen or cracked back. Using a case is a no-brainier.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I did not use case at first to appreciate the beauty of the 14 pro silver. But as time went on and that appreciation waned, I now use a case all the time because I just don’t want to have to worry about what surface I lay the phone on (and face up or face down).

I’d prefer no case, but then I’d always have to worry about scratching my phone and stressing over that.

Also, this Torras case feels amazingly soft to the touch and the yellow button is a fun pop of color.

Reactions: Andeddu

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
But you walk around with nasty looking beat up case. Never once enjoying the beautiful phone you bought. You keep it prestine for the next guy to enjoy.
A damaged case can be replaced at a minimum of expense if need be.
A phone doesn't look quite "beautiful" to me with damage to it.
That's just be a too-late reminder that I should have had it cased.
Accidents and stuff happen.
That's the reason for car insurance and fire extinguishers.
............and phone cases and screen protectors. ;)

Reactions: Andeddu

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
That doesn’t account for other people.

True. The truth is I always buy a case whenever I get a new phone, use it for a few months, and then end up taking it out because I just massively prefer the look and feel of a naked iPhone. I tend to hold on to my phones for a long time, so by the time I come to sell them I'm not massively concerned about getting MAXIMUM VALUE out of the sale and they're not worth a huge deal anyway, so I think, why not enjoy the phone the way God intended. The risk is obviously that I drop it and the screen cracks, but that hasn't happened to me in a long time, a) because I don't drop it much and b) iPhones are made from pretty sturdy glass these days. If it does happen, it's probably worth it to me to pay for a replacement screen once every ten years and get to enjoy my phone how I like it best.

Just put my case on my 13 mini now as a test and yeah it just feels bulky and not as nice to hold.

Reactions: Danfango

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Holding a caseless phone is one thing.
Maneuvering it out of a pocket and orienting it as necessary to use it is another matter.
When I put my phone away it goes in to my left rear pocket. It's placed in that pocket, screen out and upside down - the natural way I'd drop it in to that back pocket using my left hand. In this way, when I need to get it out of my pocket, I am already gripping the bottom portion of the phone with my left hand. When I bring it upright to use, it's automatically oriented right side up and facing me while being held by the bottom. All I have to do is swipe with my right hand.

I use my phone without a case - but I'm not maneuvering it or orienting it after picking it up. It's all one motion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.