Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use all my files in Finder?

• Yes

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • No

Votes: 116 92.8%

• Total voters

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Nope. My Finder opens to Documents since that's what I need most often. My most commonly used apps are in the dock. I don't need access to all of my files in alphabetical order. If I don't know where a file is, I search for it.

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I don't use it either. I have all these files that are from third party apps, like Unity and Maya, that are scattered everywhere. No hope of finding anything.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Do you use all my files in Finder or is it useless?
Quite useless. Way too many files for that view to be useful.

Nope. My Finder opens to Documents since that's what I need most often. My most commonly used apps are in the dock. I don't need access to all of my files in alphabetical order. If I don't know where a file is, I search for it.
I actually have the Documents folder in the Dock for easy access to those files.

BugsysDad

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
Danvers, MA
Do you use all my files in Finder or is it useless?

I recently thought the "all my files" might be useful if you wanted to find a file that was recently opened or modified. This filter doesn't even seem to be working properly. I opened an Excel file on my desktop - modified it and saved it. This file does not show at the top of the list in "all my files" as you would expect it to. If I go to the desktop folder and sort by "modified" it is at the top of the list.

So add me to the "useless" side also, LOL.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Nope; all it does is remind you of what a mess things would be if you were to go 'File System Less'.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
It's like the first thing i turned off. But i suppose for people who save everything to the desktop because they don't understand the concept of folders and don't know where the documents folder is it may be slightly useful?

IMO it would be better if Apple just directed people to the documents folder.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
It's like the first thing i turned off. But i suppose for people who save everything to the desktop because they don't understand the concept of folders and don't know where the documents folder is it may be slightly useful?

IMO it would be better if Apple just directed people to the documents folder.

Better yet, learn to use Spotlight and Smart Folders.

Seems to me All My Files is great for a beginning user or one that primarily uses a computer for web browsing, that doesn't have many files.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
Last time I clicked on it, it took over a minute to compile a list of over 700,000 files. For this solution I don't have a problem yet. :p

Although my initial thought was that it's nice to see improvemant attempts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.