Do you use the HDR when taking picture? What about 'auto-enhance' afterwards when you edit?

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I use HDR (when I can remember to turn it on - it always defaults to off for some reason). I have it set to toss the low quality pics and keep the hi-res version.

I only use the auto-enhance thing if I fell the pic needs it. Most of my pics aren't important so I usually don't bother.

Reactions: 3568358

glenthompson

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2011
Florida
Depends on the situation. If the lighting is better served by HDR, I use it. Otherwise I just leave it off. Almost all my editing is done on my Mac for pix I want to keep. I only do simple edits for posting to FB or similar.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I use HDR when I'm actually trying to take a good picture, that way I have options afterwords so I can pick whatever turned out better. I don't use auto HDR because when I trust it to take an HDR picture when I can tell the scene really needs it, it doesn't take an HDR photo. Or it takes it randomly when it doesn't need it. I just prefer to use it when I know it will be useful to me.

I never use auto enhance, I like to go more in depth and edit particular things.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I use HDR when I'm actually trying to take a good picture, that way I have options afterwords so I can pick whatever turned out better.
What do you mean? An HDR photo is just one photo after it's processed, it doesn't let you pick which one turned out better.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
What do you mean? An HDR photo is just one photo after it's processed, it doesn't let you pick which one turned out better.
He probably means that he has the option of the HDR photo, or the regular photo to choose from.
Yeah I meant I have two photos afterword I can manually choose from when I'm trying to get a good shot. Sometimes HDR does good things and sometimes it does bad things.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I keep HDR Auto on, and I have it set to only keep the HDR version. I've never found it to slow things down, and I always prefer the HDR version anyway.