Do you use the phone while driving?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by hallux, Mar 9, 2014.

?

Do you use the phone while driving?

1. No

20 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Yes, with handsfree (bluetooth or other)

20 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. Yes with built-in speaker phone

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. Yes, damn the laws I'll hold it to my ear, thanks

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

This stemmed from a discussion in another thread.

Do you?

IF I have a need to make or take a call while driving, I use a bluetooth headset. It's not often I need to. Weekdays, I ALWAYS have my headset with me and turned on. It sits in a tray in the center console of my car, in front of the cup holders and within easy reach. Using this leaves both hands available for evasive moves and is no different than having a conversation with someone else in the vehicle, if not even safer because I wouldn't be tempted to turn to look at them. I can make a call without even looking at the phone (Moto X with touchless control) but will generally reserve interaction with the phone for when I'm stopped at a light.

I actually find that I unintentionally slow down and scan my surroundings MORE if I happen to be on a call, though I generally know what vehicles are around me and where they are, even getting concerned when a vehicle approaching from behind slows down while in my blind spot causing me to lose sight of it.

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I don't need a baby sitter when it comes to how I used my phone in the car.

I do what I need to, and nothing more.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My car has built in bluetooth, but I just try to avoid using the phone and driving all together.

And I don't text and drive either, because I'm not an idiot. IMO, texters and drivers are no better than people who drive drunk, and texting and driving should carry similar penalties to DUI.

4. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I've been ticketed for switching the track on my iPhone's iPod app without even holding in my hand. Just a finger advancing the track while a motorcycle cop happened to be right next to me. I had a bluetooth headset in my ear facing the cop too. In Oregon, everything must be entirely handsfree or it's a violation (so I learned after this incident).

If I need to text, I can do it through the headset using Siri's ability to read my messages to me through the bluetooth, and the voice command capability that allows me to dictate the message. But I almost never "need" to do that. Almost all messages can wait till I get where I'm going.

In my other car, I have integrated bluetooth and a stereo that lets me use the iPod function on the car's stereo screen, including searching artists/songs/albums etc. So the phone gets plugged into a USB port in the center console where it's out of sight and out of reach. I can't respond to messages, but frankly, when I'm in that car I don't even know when I'm getting a text anyway so it doesn't matter.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Bad poll-choice 2 and 3 are the same, there should be a both hands free and held option as a single option, and since there are no laws were I live regarding cell phone use in car, option 4 is a bad one too. :p

6. hallux thread starter macrumors 68020

hallux

2 and 3 aren't the same. 2 refers to using a handsfree device such as a bluetooth speaker, wired headset, bluetooth integrated in the vehicle or bluetooth headset. 3 refers to using the speaker phone feature of the phone. I've noticed MANY people using the built-in speaker phone while holding it near their face which totally defeats the purpose of using that to satisfy the hands-free laws.

7. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Hell no, I drive a manual. I need my other hand to suggestively fondle the gear shift.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Lol. But same, all my vehicles are manual. Too much a pita to shift and use phone.

Stays in pocket. Sometimes I setup directions over bluetooth before leaving, and make minor glances at screen for eta or next turn.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

After I glance about, incoming only, and then I ask the caller is they are trying to get me arrested.

This is not a personal phone, just used for my volunteer work, and very few people have the number. Otherwise it is off.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Haha exactly this :D

If I need to reply to a text, I'll usually do so at a red light. I take short calls but not very often.

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i have a bluetooth speaker in my car that i will use if i remember to turn my bluetooth on.

12. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Using a phone in anyway while in the car should not be done. No matter how it is being used, it takes concentration away from driving. Without fail, the person in the left lane driving 10 miles below the speed limit and holding up 20 cars behind them is talking on the telephone -- via Bluetooth or what have you.
    But the question was do I do it? No.. But I do have my iPad mini mounted in a CD holder device that allows me to use maps when needed. I have a 100 mile round trip commute to work every day. If I need to make a phone call I will stop at a gas station or somewhere on the side and use telephone. Otherwise the telephone stays in my belt holster.

13. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

Correct answer.

Good for you! :apple:

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I usually try to avoid using the phone in the car if I don't have to. If I do have to it depends on what car I'm in, usually I'll use speaker phone, but if the car has built in bluetooth I'll use that.

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Do I use the phone while driving? Yes. Sometimes with the speaker phone sometimes I just hold it to my ear.

16. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

No way, I don't want the $80.00 fine plus the 20 demerit points. Besides, it's dangerous and you'd be a bloody idiot to try it.

KGB:cool:

17. malman89 macrumors 68000

Ford Sync all the way for phone calls.

Texting can wait. Always.

18. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Right, use the other hand to handle your drink and control the steering wheel with your knees! :D

My car has Ford Sync, Bluetooth and voice control for nearly every function. I tell the car do dial someone, and it does. Push a button on the steering wheel to answer calls, etc. Works quite well, but I don't use it too often.

General query: Does carrying a conversation on the phone incur the same level of distraction as carrying a conversation with a passenger in the car?

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The general consensus is more.

A passenger can shut up if they see you having difficulty in traffic, but someone on the other end of the phone never shuts up.

Everything but incoming voice mail should be banned. If one comes in, pull over if necessary and deal with it. No outgoing calls unless the vehicle is in Park.

Your life won't be that seriously disrupted. Trust me on this.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

But you could use the speaker device and not hold it, which would be the same as hands free... My car has a little slot I can stick my phone in, but it also has bluetooth so I would normally be using the latter.

21. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

Try Googling Inattentional Blindness to understand why there *is* a difference.

Or see this video...
    Inattentional Blindness

Or see this...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety

Or this...
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/get-psyched/201204/the-truth-about-texting-and-talking-while-driving

It's not to hard to find study after study after study that supports it is dangerous.

Of course, there are millions of people who are either in denial, or are simply to lazy or selfish to care...

Debbie