Do you use wifi on your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hunterheath33, Aug 10, 2012.

1. hunterheath33 macrumors regular

Do you use data on your iPhone all the time, and how much do you use? What do you do with your iPhone also while on cellular? Do you go over your data cap often? And who is your provider

2. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

My carrier is Verizon and I have the unlimited data plan for $30? or something like that...

My phone switches to wifi when I'm home but besides that, I only use cellular.

3. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

4. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I have unlimited data with AT&T but I use wifi 80% of the day(home and work)

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I am almost always on wifi and rarely come close to even 1gb used per month of cellular data. The most I ever used was 2gb about 18 months ago, when my home Internet was out and I wanted to stream some video and music.

6. hunterheath33 thread starter macrumors regular

I try so hard but I can't even break 1gb because Verizon's 3G is so slow in my area

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

i'm barely using my mobile data cuz i got wifi everywhere @ home, campus, many hotspots in the city.

i used 70 mb of mobile data on my iPad last month ^^ and <300 mb on my iPhone

the only time i really feel like using the mobile data on the iPad is when i'm bored on the train and then i dont really know what to surf for ^^

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i only use wifi when i'm at home, where i get terrible cell coverage. i hate being asked if i want to join x wireless network everywhere i go, so i just turned it off.

10. hunterheath33 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you guys have a capped data plan? If so, how many GBS do you get?

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I use Wifi a lot more now that AT&T started cracking down on their "unlimited" plan. I never exceeded 3GB of data since they started until just last night. We had to move into a temporary unit (log story) and were out of internet for a week, so I had been tethering to the media center and computer. Got a notification last night, and low and behold I hit 8 gigs. Seems since this is my first time, they won't throttle me, which is nice, because I still have a few days to go without internet! No matter, I am dumping AT&T for Verizon here in two months, not because I was displeased, but because I won't have to pay for the line. :p

----------

I can do virtually all the web page browsing I want and stay under 1GB even with AT&T. Streaming is what racks on the data.

12. bushido Suspended

bushido

only 300 mb on my iPhone before i get throttled :eek:, but thats the price i pay for getting the iPhone 4S for 1€ on a 25€ plan

and 500 mb on my iPad before i get throttled :eek: again, the price i pay for getting the new 32 GB iPad Wifi+4G for 400€ on a 11€ plan

13. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I use wifi at home, school, and work, so I only really start using up data when I stream music in the car.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same with me.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

When I'm at school I use wifi almost all the time, and usually go with a 100MB prepaid plan which given how much I'm on wifi is enough for the times I really need internet and am away from a wifi network.

At home I have a higher data cap and slower internet so I use wifi less.

16. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I leave WiFi on so that when I return home I don't even have to think about switching. I do have an unlimited AT&T plan, but being throttled is not very enjoyable so I don't usually stream anything on 3G. My average monthly usage can range from 400MB a month to 5GB depending on the circumstances.

17. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Whenever I can I used WIFI. My limit is 1GB and closest I've gotten is 700MB. There's no WIFI at work which I wish there was.

18. sotorious macrumors 6502a

I rarely turn wifi on only to update my apps.

19. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

About the only time I use 3G is when I'm using tetherme at the beach on the weekends where we don't have internet. I still usually stay under 1gb/month n my VZW unlimited plan. I've got 80+mbps wifi at work, 25 mbps at home and wifi just about anywhere I choose to go. I see no reason to use 3G if there is a viable wifi option available.

20. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

WiFi is great for keeping your battery life up when in a low coverage area - besides, my 3GB cap makes it prudent to avoid using cellular data whenever possible.

21. chokem macrumors 6502

I have the AT&T 3GB plan. I use data only at work, which has no wifi, then use wifi for the rest of the day/night at home. I've only gone over my 3 gigs one time, and that was because I was doing a lot of Internet radio streaming at work.

22. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

23. Indy21 macrumors 6502

On wifi at my house and family members homes that have wifi. Other than that I keep it off so that it's not constantly searching for a connection and running my battery down.

24. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I use Wi-Fi wherever it's fast and secure (i.e. home, work, university, friend's houses).

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

95% of the time even at home on "4G" of AT&T. Running a 4S w/ Unlimited Data though ;)