Do you use wifi on your iPhone?

hunterheath33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Do you use data on your iPhone all the time, and how much do you use? What do you do with your iPhone also while on cellular? Do you go over your data cap often? And who is your provider

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
My carrier is Verizon and I have the unlimited data plan for $30? or something like that...

My phone switches to wifi when I'm home but besides that, I only use cellular.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Do you use data on your iPhone all the time, and how much do you use? What do you do with your iPhone also while on cellular? Do you go over your data cap often? And who is your provider
I am almost always on wifi and rarely come close to even 1gb used per month of cellular data. The most I ever used was 2gb about 18 months ago, when my home Internet was out and I wanted to stream some video and music.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i'm barely using my mobile data cuz i got wifi everywhere @ home, campus, many hotspots in the city.

i used 70 mb of mobile data on my iPad last month ^^ and <300 mb on my iPhone

the only time i really feel like using the mobile data on the iPad is when i'm bored on the train and then i dont really know what to surf for ^^

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i only use wifi when i'm at home, where i get terrible cell coverage. i hate being asked if i want to join x wireless network everywhere i go, so i just turned it off.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I use Wifi a lot more now that AT&T started cracking down on their "unlimited" plan. I never exceeded 3GB of data since they started until just last night. We had to move into a temporary unit (log story) and were out of internet for a week, so I had been tethering to the media center and computer. Got a notification last night, and low and behold I hit 8 gigs. Seems since this is my first time, they won't throttle me, which is nice, because I still have a few days to go without internet! No matter, I am dumping AT&T for Verizon here in two months, not because I was displeased, but because I won't have to pay for the line. :p

----------

I try so hard but I can't even break 1gb because Verizon's 3G is so slow in my area
I can do virtually all the web page browsing I want and stay under 1GB even with AT&T. Streaming is what racks on the data.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Do you guys have a capped data plan? If so, how many GBS do you get?
only 300 mb on my iPhone before i get throttled :eek:, but thats the price i pay for getting the iPhone 4S for 1€ on a 25€ plan

and 500 mb on my iPad before i get throttled :eek: again, the price i pay for getting the new 32 GB iPad Wifi+4G for 400€ on a 11€ plan

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I use wifi at home, school, and work, so I only really start using up data when I stream music in the car.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
When I'm at school I use wifi almost all the time, and usually go with a 100MB prepaid plan which given how much I'm on wifi is enough for the times I really need internet and am away from a wifi network.

At home I have a higher data cap and slower internet so I use wifi less.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I leave WiFi on so that when I return home I don't even have to think about switching. I do have an unlimited AT&T plan, but being throttled is not very enjoyable so I don't usually stream anything on 3G. My average monthly usage can range from 400MB a month to 5GB depending on the circumstances.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Whenever I can I used WIFI. My limit is 1GB and closest I've gotten is 700MB. There's no WIFI at work which I wish there was.

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
About the only time I use 3G is when I'm using tetherme at the beach on the weekends where we don't have internet. I still usually stay under 1gb/month n my VZW unlimited plan. I've got 80+mbps wifi at work, 25 mbps at home and wifi just about anywhere I choose to go. I see no reason to use 3G if there is a viable wifi option available.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
WiFi is great for keeping your battery life up when in a low coverage area - besides, my 3GB cap makes it prudent to avoid using cellular data whenever possible.

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
I have the AT&T 3GB plan. I use data only at work, which has no wifi, then use wifi for the rest of the day/night at home. I've only gone over my 3 gigs one time, and that was because I was doing a lot of Internet radio streaming at work.

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
On wifi at my house and family members homes that have wifi. Other than that I keep it off so that it's not constantly searching for a connection and running my battery down.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
95% of the time even at home on "4G" of AT&T. Running a 4S w/ Unlimited Data though ;)