Do you want a total revamp of iOS or just improved usability?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, May 16, 2011.

?

Do you want a complete overhaul of iOS or just improved usability

1. Complete overhaul

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Improved Usability

26 vote(s)
    59.1%
  3. Nothing. It's perfect as-is

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Who cares I use a different OS

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

What are people's thoughts regarding a significant re-design of the OS? Basically instead of having a 4x5 icon grid, having something completely different. Do you guys want a major overhaul or just improved usability (ie: improved notification system, etc.)? I'm not sure how I feel but curious what most think.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm not sure why people keep expecting that a complete overhaul may actually happen.

The Mac is currently on it's 27th year and it still uses the exact same folder-mouse-menus-windows-desktop system that it started with.

So I think you're all going to be waiting awhile if you expect iOS to get a complete overhaul anytime soon.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think iOS needs a pretty big over haul in terms of interface as it is really starting to lag behind everyone else.
    You can stay close to its current design but it needs little things like widgets and a notifications system as currently the set up is that of a almost a dumb phone.

example widgets, live updating icons and notifications system.

4. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

I would classify widgets as an overhaul. Notification system more of just improved usability.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I would classify neither as an overhaul.

Time Machine, Dashboard, and the Dock were not overhauls of the Mac. They were just usability improvements.

Likewise, widgets or a notification system would not be an overhaul of iOS any more than 'Spotlight' or the 'Quick Switcher' were. They're all just usability improvements.

6. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Allowing apps to run on the home screen (ie: widgets) would definitely be considered a drastic change from where iOS is right now. Apps can't even allow their icons to be updated with information (date, weather etc) so allowing full blown widgets to update in real time would be an overhaul as well as a departure of current app store guidelines.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The first iPhone couldn't run 3rd party apps. Then they allowed them. An overhaul? No, just a new store.

Then they added spotlight. Nothing used to be to the left of page 1. An overhaul? No, just an optional search feature.

Double-clicking used to be user-defined. Now it's a quick-switch menu. An overhaul? No, just shortcuts.

Background APIs? Folders? Widgets? Multiple user profiles? ALL of these are just usability improvements. They add new features but they don't fundamentally change the way you use the phone.

What would you need to count as an overhaul? Pick at least 1 of the following:

* Direct access to the file system from within iOS.
    * Full-screen '1-at-a-time' app interfaces not being the default.
    * Removing the 4x4 grid as a way to access apps.
    * Treat apps like plugins instead of stand-alone programs (like, Photoshop and Photogene simply modify the photo-viewing app by adding features, they don't stand alone with other apps)
    * A hybrid OS where an iPad gains folders, windows, and a mouse cursor when paired with a keyboard and trackpad.

I don't expect any of these in iOS 5, and I don't expect most of them ever.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

a better way of putting is certain parts of iOS need a complete overhaul. The biggest being the notifications system in iOS needs a complete over haul as the current one just well sucks.

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I in general am happy with the interface so I don't think they should do a complete revamp just or a revamp (unlike some people here who think they should do it just to provide them with something new). Honestly, if it's not broke, don't fix it. That's not to say I don't think there could be improvements (my biggest gripe is how they handle manually managing multi tasking. I don't care if they say the phone should do it for me, the phone does a piss poor job! Is it too much to ask to at least offer a good task manager in case the phone isn't doing it well itself? Even if they improved how the phone did it, I'd still like to see a better implication of it. I know I've seen suggestions that were simple, still intuitive maybe even more intuitive than APple's solution, and would be far better than how they have it now).

People here like comparing the iphone to a luxury car, well let me tell you, Porsche goes by my philosophy. They don't change things in the car that work well until they have a need to change it (like for example going to water cooled cause they reached the limitation of air cooled. Or they kept the same basic dashboard design for at least 20 years, can't say about if they changed it now but I know that a Porsche 20 years newer than the 73 911 I had had pretty much the same dashboard layout. They didn't change it just to make the car look new, the dashboard design was excellent so they did what they should, *leave*it*alone* except for maybe tweaks to improve it). Changing just to make it look new are for cars that have to use gimmicks to sell themselves, not sell themselves on the quality of the car.

Changing things just for difference doesn't make them better, in fact it can easily make it worse (and I go on this rant cause so many times i see people here bitching that apple should change iOS cause it's "dated" looking and need to do something new for the sake of something new). You should change what is a problem cause you have something better. That's how something gets better and more usable.

10. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

My 2011 Cayenne (and I know the Panamera as well) has a completely revamped dashboard. That's one of the main reasons I bought it! Just saying...

11. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I'm fairly happy with the iPhone the way it is. I'd like to see the iOS be the same, with just some new features (I.E Notification system) Other than that, I don't really care. It's just a phone for me, and my main concern is the battery life. Anything that can make that phone last longer (Without restraining features) is a plus.

12. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah, well Porsche also sold out soon as they started making SUVs (besides, that is a VW/Porsche collaboration, kinda like the 914 so is it really Porsche or is it VW?). I'm just saying....

Anyways, you seriously bought a car just cause it had a dashboard revamp? I'm guessing hopefully you didn't like the old dashboard? Or are you seriously that shallow that you were like, cool, new dashboard, I'll buy it cause they changed it!

13. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

there is no way Apple will completely revamp the OS. They will improve the usability over time though.

14. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

I think i jumped the gun by choosing "complete overhaul." After thinking, some major advances to what we currently have would be nice.

Live icons (weather, clock, scores for selected games etc.)
    dynamic wallpapers
    Themes
    Customized Lockscreen

Basically stuff to "spruce up the joint." Give iOS a little life.

Other than that, just the basics: Faster, more streamlined.

15. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

The technology in the pre 2011 Cayenne was pretty bad and boring and I'm obviously into my tech so yes, it absolutely played a role in it for me. If you think that makes me "shallow" then so be it. I take the whole package into account when making a decision and the dash played a role in that process.

And you think Porsche "sold out" when they started making SUV's but I believe it was a very smart business decision. I've heard that term before and each time is sounds more and more ridiculous. The Cayenne line is now the company's best selling & most profitable vehicle. If that's "selling out" then I wish more companies would do the same.

16. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Improved notifications and icons that act like live tiles would do me tbh.

Being a dual iOS/Android user, I don't really want them turning into each other at this point. (is that selfish?) :p

More "at a glance" info would be great. It works for WP7 and Android so why not for iOS?

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Smart business move, yes, I won't deny. Apparently making SUVs always is. Disappointing to Porsche fanatics/sports car fanatics that they caved in and made one, also yes.

And saying you bought it for the new tech is not the same as saying you bought it just cause the dashboard was changed for changes sake. Adding tech is adding functionality.

That's not the same as people I see on here saying iOS *looks* dated and it should be changed cause it *looks* old.

18. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

iOS *looks* dated b/c it IS dated and IS quickly becoming old technology. The OS was released in 2007 and while there have been minor upgrades (aside from the app store which completely transformed the device), it is still the same [aging] OS. I think it needs something to change the way it looks b/c it's quickly becoming stale. If the app store didn't come along, I don't think the OS would have lasted as long as it already has.