Do you want and like to contribute to society?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jul 13, 2016.

?

Do you want and like to contribute to society?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Obligatory "Yes, but..." (or no, but...)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Waiting for the transactionally minded to chime in here... "there is no society..."

But yes! Not just the obligatory via taxes, but the time and energy towards community. Even when it's something pretty simple minded like stacking cans in a food pantry or taking out the cans with expiry dates too far in the past.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

As the old proverb goes, "It takes a village to raise a child." Building a strong community is in the best interest of everyone in the community.

I've got some property in a community where the property management company is utter rubbish. They do nothing to foster a strong community. Quite the opposite, they sow dissension among the residents: community pool not maintained (swim in the algae infested water at your own risko_O), stupid rules that forbids loitering in community land (hail, they even forbid sitting on the stairs to your unit:confused:), placing a dumpster next to the only playground equipment in the community:mad::mad:, telling residents to have the police resolve disputes:mad: and so on.

My tenants tell me it's like they're prisoners in their own homes. I don't have enough of a vote to change property management company; and I can't get enough support either. There are a few owners who have controlling vote and vote themselves on the HOA board.:mad: I'll dump off those property when my tenants move out.

On the flip side, my community, we are good friends with the neighbors. People wave/exchange greetings when out for an evening walk. Kids play in a well maintained park. Private security patrols our streets. It's a healthy community. I've forgotten to lock my door several times, yet have never had a burglary.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Does buying the Words Finest Chocolate (**** is out of this world) from the neighborhood baseball team count?

[​IMG]

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yep. I try to do it every single day of my life.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I try to take every first week of the year to go on a disaster relief trip. It's a nice vacation for me and someone gets a house built/repaired out of it.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Does cleaning my house count as "disaster relief"?

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Haha, has your governor declared a state of emergency?

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, both personally and professionally.

I'm the Marketing Director for a tile company. Our mission is "making a difference one square foot at a time.". Until I arrived here 2 years ago, it was little more than lip service other than giving away 30,000 sq. ft. of tile after Hurricane Sandy.

I've gotten us involved with several organizations to raise money and awareness. Toys for Tots (we collected 412 toys last year), Red Nose Day (we raised $2,055 in 2 weeks), Queens Centers for Progress (we hire residents on a project basis), and my personal favorite, we donate materials to George to the Rescue. It's a home improvement show that helps families in need. We've done 4 projects with them and donated all the tile and installation materials. Very gratifying to participate in the shows, especially the reveals.

11. chown33 macrumors 604

Toxic spill. Apply for superfund cleanup relief.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I'll send him a picture and he will certainly comply...

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I contribute to my community in both my personal life and through my job. I work in the foster care field where we help children and families in a specified region. In my personal life, I help lead a marriage ministry that helps couples in our community work to improve their relationship. Through my church I also participate in "serve days" where we take on projects in the community to support local residents, schools, etc.

14. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

First question that came to my mind.

If you mean by paying taxes, then yes I want to contribute because I have benefited from some of the services our taxes pay for.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

jk, jk... you know, like getting us the mole recipe.

You contribute something to your sister's table (it's your mom's or sister's recipe?) in trade for that delicious answer to what I'm going to do with this chicken I got here if the weather cools down enough to cook the thing.

And we who copy out this recipe you contribute, we in turn send best regards to your famliy and we also overlook seven or ten of your next wild pitches on these boards.

You feel great, your famliy feels complimented and appreciated, we get to make chicken taste better than otherwise, you get a pass on some hydrogen-powered jk posts now and then, we remember your self-styled "criminal mexi midget" kindnesses forever. This is community! So... deal? :)

16. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

100% tax rate for the rich

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes. My husband and I do a lot of charity work and have held a lot of fundraisers over the years. Everything from fighting Prop 8 to raising money for burial funds, scholarships, AIDS foundations and charities that help people pay their utility bills and keep the lights on. Also have raised money for support pets too, but not as much as the other causes. There is also a boys and girls club that we have raised money for and have supported the local gay and lesbian center as well. Oh, and we have done some toy drives for some kids also. My husband has also helped out at food banks. I would like to do that too, but haven't been able to do as much as I would like lately due to some health issues. Hopefully next year I can do more than I have been lately.

18. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

You joke, but the top marginal tax rate on people making over $1 Million dollars a year use to be 90%.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Habitat for humanity until we ran out of homes in the area to restore.