Do you want to be a single forever? Or, do you want to get hitched?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Some people prefer to be single forever. Some want to enjoy the company of partners (married or not). I sense some of the members on this site are borned to be single by the way they post their comments. I am curious to know the reason "why" they choose to stay single or get hitched (opposite or same sex).

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
Ya know, there for a while I thought I would be single forever. I didn't meet my soul mate until well into my 30's. There's no accounting for the way this funny old world turns.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
clayj said:
I'd like to get married... to the right person.

Getting married to the wrong person is worse than being single, I think.
I think your post hit the nail on the head. By looking at your previous posts on this forum, I believe you are very well-off financially. Bad break ups will take your half of your wealth down the drain. In the country of high divorce rate like USA, I know I will never marry the person in this country.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
YS2003 said:
I think your post hit the nail on the head. By looking at your previous posts on this forum, I believe you are very well-off financially. Bad break ups will take your half of your wealth down the drain. In the country of high divorce rate like USA, I know I will never marry the person in this country.
If your primary reason to avoid marriage is a concern over potentially losing wealth, you're well-advised to avoid marriage, because clearly that whole "love" thing isn't particularly motivating to you.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
jsw said:
If your primary reason to avoid marriage is a concern over potentially losing wealth, you're well-advised to avoid marriage, because clearly that whole "love" thing isn't particularly motivating to you.
Yeah, that's what prenups are for. :p

Seriously, if I did find the right person, certain things (namely, my art collection) would be protected by whatever legal means necessary. I'd likely transfer ownership of them to my nephew before I got married, or donate them to a museum (as a "Promised Gift"). No one's taking my art collection from me. :)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
jsw said:
I wish there is some type of "federal warranty" which guards against the defective marrage. But, reality is buyers be aware and all sales are final.

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
I'm married, got a kid and another on the way, life rocks.

YS2003 said:
Bad break ups will take your half of your wealth down the drain. In the country of high divorce rate like USA, I know I will never marry the person in this country.
Apart from what this statement says about you as a person, being married allows you to accumulate wealth in way that single people can't.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I definitely want to get hitched. I don't want to rush into it though, I want it to be undeniably 'right'. :) But I also want it to be soon :).

e

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
I am 16 so dont intend of getting married now butr in the future, definately. I want to settle down and have my own family but around the age of 28is but it probably won work out as planned.

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
MACDRIVE said:
If I ever had a woman say she wants to marry me, I'd tell her to seek medical attention immediately. ;)
if i ever come across a woman who doesnt want to marry me, she better seek medical attention! SNAP just kidding im not that concieted. although at times i wonder how some guys have girls while i dont....

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I want to get married to someone a lot. I mean, really. I don't know why. I'm in a relationship, and while it we haven't dated for years and years, I think she's amazing and I could totally imagine it happening with someone like her.

But there's a catch to everything....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I can't wait to get married. I've been with Caroline for 5 years now and I knew when I first saw her that I'd be with her forever. I don't want to be single. I really can't see the positives of it, but if your happy single then go forth and be chuffed!

A little off topic. but does anyone remember that Natasha Bedinfield song "Single", singing about how great it is to be single blah blah. Then she comes out with some song about being madly in love? *forgot the name. God I hate pop music.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Ever so often I do miss the single lifestyle, but the thought of being without my partner isn't attractive at all. He's the one for me definitely.

The important thing with a relationship is to realise that each of you is going to change over the course of time, and to make allowances for that. Those that expect their partner to always be the way they were aren't going to be happy together for long.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
I'm 18 at the moment, and currently single.

I don't like being single too much, I prefer the "warmth" that a good relationship can bring. I'll definately want to get hitched in the future, but like most people have said, I'd wait and make sure it was to the "right" person :) I'd also prefer sooner rather than later, but I definately wouldn't want to rush anything.

XNine

macrumors 68040
All of my relationships have failed. And I do mean failed in the worst sense. The only constant variable in them is me, so obviously I suck.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to die alone. Meh, not like a dog can't replace the companionship of a woman. No lying, no BS, no games, no stealing, no cheating. That dog, will always love you as long as you treat them alright.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.