Do you want to transfer your existing phone number? iPhone plan to iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xerenthar, Jun 12, 2009.

1. xerenthar macrumors 6502

Anyone know if AT&T/Apple site would let me transfer my existing phone number (AT&T iPhone 2G plan) to a new plan (AT&T iPhone 3GS) and just automatically incur the ETF?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You're only charged an ETF if you leave ATT not if you get a new phone. If you are still on contract you just pay the 2nd tier upgrade price, and yes you can do that online -- at least at the Apple store. Don't know about ATT's site. When you get your new phone just put the SIM in your iPhone 2G in it and activate (or this will be done for you if you p/u in-store.

3. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

i meant if you go to the buy iPhone site and say you're a new customer and want to port your number and put in the AT&T one you have.... will it port it?

i'd rather cancel my current line(ETF) and pay a new subsidized 3GS and start a new K.... but i don't really want to get rid of my #... get what i am saying? :)

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Why would you exit your contract (Pay $175), and then start a new contract, instead of paying the $199/$299 price you can pay for your 3GS.

You say you have a 2G iPhone, so you'd be eligible for the $199/$299 price.

Also, if you cancel your contract (EFT), you can't start another with AT&T for 2-3 months.

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

6. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Porting a number has to do with moving your number from one phone company to another. You are not changing phone companies. You are just upgrading your phone. Go here:
    https://buyiphone.apple.com/WebObjects/IPACustomer.woa/
    and select "replace a phone on your existing account"
    Then pick the $199 or $299 phone that you want. Thats all.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Or $499/$599 (I think it was) for the Early Upgrade fee.

8. xerenthar thread starter macrumors 6502

i pay 399/499 - bought an iPhone 3G and it broke. not eligible until 12/15.

i didn't know that if you cancel a K, you can't start a new one - where's that mentioned? what if you start a new one (like through the bing deal) and cancel your old one?

thanks guys :)