Dock Assistance: 2019 MBP Dock\Dongle Selection

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Here's what I need:

- 1 DISPLAYPORT 4K@60hz (32" LG external monitor I use in clamshell mode 3840x2160 right now for primary monitor via DP)
- 1 HDMI 4K@60hz (a LG 43" 4K I plug in and it becomes a secondary display at 3840x2160 as additional desktop space via HDMI)
- 1+ USBC
- 1+ USBA

Extra ports (ethernet, additional USBA or USBC or memory cards or what not would be nice, but not required. The primary motivations are to consolidate from the two dongles to the external monitors I'm currently using to just one with a couple extra ports so one plug would be nice. I see a ton on amazon, some make some weird claims some say they won't work, some have more than just these ports...

Which one would get me the things I need above for the most reliable and reasonable cost? Most the ones I see are 30hz and I don't want that.

Additionally, with this setup, the fans tend to kick up pretty high when using both monitors. Would it benefit me to consider an external GPU? It seems like it is more processor I'm tapping, but I guess when the current latest and greatest MBP has motherboard graphics, that's one in the same ehh? Would an eGPU benefit me? If so, what's an inexpensive one?

Stephen.R

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
does the 43" LG only have HDMI? (I guess maybe it's a TV?). The mix of DP and HDMI is what will make this harder to 'solve' without further adapters, like e.g. a DP to HDMI adapter.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
does the 43" LG only have HDMI? (I guess maybe it's a TV?). The mix of DP and HDMI is what will make this harder to 'solve' without further adapters, like e.g. a DP to HDMI adapter.
Yeah just HDMI on the 4k TV. The LG 4k monitor has both displayport and HDMI, so in theory if I were to get an adaptor with dual 4k HDMI outputs of 60hz each that would work. If a monitor supports displayport and HDMI, isnt displayport superior?

And I have no issue doing a displayport to HDMI adaptor if that works better... Ideas?

rex4mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
Wavlink Thunderbolt 3 docking station provide two DP video outs and also two DP-HDMI 4K converter to turn the DP ports into HDMI 4K outputs. It is the most flexible docking station for MBP. And most importantly it also can provide other connections you requested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T2RW54X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, it even can work with DisplayPort KVM switch to share DP monitor, USB keyboard and mouse with other sysem.
please check the test video we just done 3 days ago:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.