Dock does not show Finder or Trash Icons. I'm gonna blow this thing up!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stuccodog20, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Stuccodog20 macrumors newbie

I used CANDYBAR and the program ripped the icon for Finder and Trash off the dock. I can still access them both and the text appears above where the icons should be but nothing I have done so far has worked. I tried the .plist stuff and using terminal to killall Dock. No Icon. I tried SuperDocker, LeopardDocks, and DockDoctor. No dice. I'm a very patient person and enjoy figuring this kind of thing out. But I am getting very annoyed. Any help will be rewarded with an Mac-Ninja badge for your pocket protector.:apple:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Stuccodog20 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't set it up. Forgive my ignorance.:(

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It probably got stopped halfway through making the change, so it moved the original icons but didn't get around to putting in the new ones. You may be able to restore the originals.

EDIT: Ignore the part here about the Finder.app, you need to look in Dock.app for both icons you want to change. I'll leave it in case someone else needs those instructions.
    In the Finder, go to /System/Library/CoreServices/
    Right click on Finder.app and choose "Show Package Contents."
    Go to Contents/Resources/ and look for a file that was previously called Finder.icns (I believe CandyBar renames it to Finder Backup.icns, or something of the sort). Rename it to Finder.icns, assuming it appears to be the correct icon (you can QuickLook it to make sure it's the right one).

Then go back to the CoreServices folder and repeat the process with Dock.app, this time looking for two files: trashempty.png and trashfull.png. Again, they've probably been renamed. Just change the names back to the correct ones.

Then in the Terminal put in the "killall -HUP Dock" command, and they should be back.

If not, you'll have to try to get those original images from somewhere. PM me if you need them.

jW

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You really need to set it up before you lose something really important. It's easy, all you need is Leopard and an external drive.