Dock Help (Kinda Urgent)

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Ok, so I got bored and after watching 'The Power of X' decided to see how many files I could add to the dock. So I wrote an AppleScript that added new folders to the dock, and I think there is now 600+ in there.

Any idea how to get them all out at once?

Ensign

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
You can go in and edit the Dock plist for your user. I would go in and remove just about everything, and then readd the ones you want to keep.

Go to your ~/Library/Preferences and open up com.apple.dock.plist in TextEdit. You'll be able to see each dock item between the <dict> tags.

Good luck!

PS. Might be a good idea to back it up first. ;)

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Delete it.

You can also just delete the Dock.plist file from your preferences folder in your Library folder. (I'm not 100% sure thats the location--I'm at work) Its just like any other preference file and will be regenerated. You will lose dock preferences doing this, but its better than taking the folders out one at a time.

Matthew

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
yeah the dock plist should work (it's kinda cool to mess around the order of things in your dock by simply cutting and pasting)

i need to learn to write applescripts. i can't believe i still haven't. does anyone know of online helps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.