Dock Memory Issue

return2sendai

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
4 running. iTunes, Safari, Finder, BOINC Manager, at the time of my first post.
After Restart, with nothing running (other than Finder by default), and all apps set for startup on login turned off, the Dock is using...702 MB of memory. So a bit more, without anything open. Go figure!

My computer is an iMac (Late 2015) 3.3 GHz Processor, 16GB Memory.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you post a screen shot?
Activity Monitor, then Memory tab. Select the Dock process, then click on the information button.
Click the Memory tab, if necessary, and take a screen shot of that window.
That will show ALL the memory use at the moment, by that Dock process.

Reactions: return2sendai

return2sendai

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
Looks like it's an issue with this app from the App store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/memory-diag/id748212890?ls=1&mt=12

I use Memory Diag in my menu bar.

As you can see from the requested screenshot, when I hover my cursor over the little Dock icon at the bottom of the Memory Diag dropdown, it is showing my Dock memory usage at 623 MB.

However, Activity Monitor is showing my Dock memory usage at 66.1 MB.

That's a tenfold discrepancy! (circled in red)

So either Memory Diag or Activity Monitor is telling a porky...

Or something else is going on with Dock, because when I hover my cursor over the little Mail and Dropbox icons at the bottom of the Memory Diag dropdown, the memory usage for these apps is almost identical to that given by Activity Monitor. Also, App, Wired, Compressed, etc. are the same, as shown in the screenshot.

Hmmm....

Thanks for your help so far. But the issue with Dock remains this morning (I live in Japan, so our time differences may vary).

Attachments

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would say that you don't have a real issue.
Very low memory pressure.
The Dock memory usage in that information window is more than on my own Mac (about twice of mine), but you have a few (a lot) more processes running on your system.
I would also think that your system is using total RAM properly

You may want to take the information that app Memory Diag is showing you with a grain of salt, until you see an actual issue - such as the memory pressure going into yellow, or red - and you have real performance issues, such as delays/slowdowns when using your system and your apps.

What version of macOS are you using? Are you on a macOS beta at all?