Dock protector, yes/no?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ecwhite4S, Jan 3, 2012.

1. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Just wanted to get some advice..

Are dock protectors (the rubber pieces that you put over the charging port) a good idea for the iPhone?

I'm so OCD about dust/lint/dirt getting into the port, I barely ever put my phone in my pocket or anything because I always notice on peoples iPhones that their ports are dirty/dusty.

Anyone use them or feel that they are useful/a good investment?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I just spent a good part of my day yesterday going around the mall and other stores looking for those dock protectors. I've owned all 4 iPhone models (except 4S) and iPods, iPad and just recently I got the need to want those plugs.

Last week I went with my friend to the Apple Store because her iPhone was acting up and crashing/resetting itself, when the Genius looked at the dock connector he noticed corrosion on the 30 pin dock. My friend has never taken her iPhone into the bathroom (while showering) and the phone has never been in contact with water, but for some reason she had corrosion and the sensor had turned red.

I've had my iPod nano and iPod Classic water sensor turn red, even then they have never been near water, but my friend and I live in the same town and in a similar living environment, so if her sensor can turn red that than I fear mine could as well.

I was unsuccessful finding them yesterday, but I just found some on online for $0.01 each, so I think for that price I can at least buy some and give it a try.

[​IMG]

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you are that OCD, I would say they are good for YOU! I have been using iPhones for years and never used one or even seen one and never had any problems. Dust does not get under your screen. If there is dust under your screen, it got their when the digitizer and screen were "bonded" at the factory.

Try to relax or you will not enjoy your phone!;)

4. ecwhite4S thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes you can find them very cheap on Amazon/eBay. I was thinking of picking up a few just in case...and just to use when I'm running around or have to throw the phone in a bag/in my pocket.

Stealthipad, I'm not really worried about dust getting under my screen, just buildup on the 30 pin connector. All my friends iPhones have ports that look like hell. Of course the phone still works normally, I think it'll give me piece of mind to cover it up. Kind of wish the port wasn't so open/susceptible to grime buildup.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yes dust and debris will get in there no matter how well u clean your pocket. I just clean my port every now and then with a paper towel or brush.

6. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I've got a couple and have used them religiously since my 3GS days (when not using my Commuter case that has them built in). I also use the headphone port plugs that have a sim tray removal tool built-in. They work great and keep all that dust and lint out of your connectors. The real reason I use them, though, is to keep moisture out of there.

I got my set of dock covers from Radio Shack, well over a year ago. After getting my 4S, I went back to get another pack of two, but I couldn't find them anywhere. The workers at two different Radio Shacks told me they'd stopped carrying them. Kinda ticked me off. But I doubt they sold many to begin with.

But yeah, if you're looking for a good way to keep moisture and debris out of the dock connector, these will work great.

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If you are OCD then I would suggest getting them.

8. davidra macrumors 6502

Or get a Lifeproof case, which keeps the port covered until you open it.

9. ecwhite4S thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just bought a "milk" white Switcheasy Colors case for my white 4S. It comes with 2 port protectors, 2 headphone protectors and 2 screen protectors. Not bad for $15. I figured I wanted a white case anyway so I can switch between white case/black case...

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I bought dock covers on ebay when I first got my iPhone. It was like 6 covers for $2 or something, shipped from China. Comes in clear or black. Works great.

[​IMG]

11. ecwhite4S thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a good fit.

Do you notice it rubbing up against any of the components on the 30 pin connector/pins/etc?

12. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Lint/dirt/dust in the connector port is the #1 reason the home button starts malfunctioning (according to 3 different apple genius guys). I've been using the newer Otterbox Commuter which has the dock protector. Lost 3 different IP4s to home button problems even though I don't work in a dusty environment. Those plugs are just a smart buy.

13. tiwizard macrumors regular

I have 2 4s's, one with an Acase Superleggera PRO (http://www.amazon.com/Acase-iPhone-Superleggera-Protection-Verizon/dp/B004JQUZC4) and one with some generic hard back. The Acase covers the ports up (it has a built in rubber piece that folds back when you are using the port) and they are not dusty, whereas the other 4S has dust in the ports from being in pockets. No malfunctions yet, but it certainly keeps the phone cleaner...

14. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

It might be slightly touching but the cover wouldn't stay in place if it didnt. The material is soft, no way it can cause any damage, and my dock doesn't have a spec of dust in it.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have this too. Not sure if I exactly need it, but i don't mind since my phone has one.

16. ecwhite4S thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hmm very interesting and it makes sense because the home button is literally in the same region as the port opening. Definitely gonna use the port covers, pretty cheap and a sure way to keep things clean.