Dock randomly moves to 2nd display

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by ajmichmac, Jun 2, 2019.

1. ajmichmac macrumors member

ajmichmac

Is there a trick to "lock" the dock where you want it? I am using a 2nd display. Want the dock to stay on the 1st (main) display. It randomly jumps to the 2nd display. FWIW, it is possible to move it back by repeated vertical dragging of the mouse over the dock area on the main display (it takes many of these drag movements to get the dock to move back to the main display).

2. John.B.Sirius macrumors newbie

That's not the behavior I've experience, not exactly; in my use, the dock will appear if you let the mouse cursor "bang" into the bottom edge of the display you want it to appear on. I don't have to fiddle with "vertical dragging" as you described. I think you might have to have the "desktop" of whichever display you want the dock to appear on, in focus (simply by just clicking on the desktop of that particular display, then "bang" your cursor into the bottom edge to cause the dock to pop-up)

I am not sure that there is a way to lock the dock to one display, or have it appear on both displays without some behind the scenes work.

3. ajmichmac thread starter macrumors member

ajmichmac

John, thanks, I did not know of the term "bang" but that is what I have used to make the dock reappear on the main display. Right now, I manually moved the dock to the 2nd display using bang, but when I bang on the main display, the dock does not come back... I have to repeatedly bang (vertical drag without a click, just moving the cursor) to get the dock to pop up. Does the bang have to be in a certain place on the bottom edge? I'd still like to LOCK the dock in place.

4. John.B.Sirius macrumors newbie

In my experience I can place the cursor anywhere. What I’ve also noticed is “banging” the cursor into the edge, and continuing to move the mouse downwards as if there were more display area available will bring the dock up for me. Or moving the cursor let and right along the bottom edge works for me too.

Did you make sure the primary display was “in focus”. That may or may not have any effect but worth a try.

I’m certain there is a third party app or terminal command you can run to lock the dock, but that’s the limit of my knowledge. Good luck!

5. Honza1 macrumors 6502

I suspect this is bit misunderstanding of dock behavior...
    I think the Dock appears on all displays. However, it shows "up" only on one display at time, it is hidden on the other displays.

Let's say it is up on main display. I can see it and use it there, work even the second/third display. It stays up and shows.

When I want to "move" it - it actually just unhides it on one and hides it on the other - I move mouse down to bottom edge of different (second) display and wait for a second or two. It appears on the second display and hides on the main display. Stays that way until I switch them around again.

In my case I hide Dock when not in use and so it is normally not seen anywhere. That way, when needed, I move mouse over bottom edge of display I want it on and it just pops up.

I do not believe this is change from prior versions and you can do much about it.

6. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

yes - agree with Honza1 - for me dock shows up on all displays exactly as described above

7. LuisN macrumors regular

Put your dock vertical left or right and it will only appear in the main display, or that's what I read once. Can't test because I only use one display

8. ajmichmac thread starter macrumors member

ajmichmac

Thanks to everyone... I just want to stop the dock from moving on its own... at times I don't need the 2nd display so it is turned off. When the dock disappears from the main display, apparently it is being turned on on the 2nd display. Kind of annoying in that this happens frequently.