Doctor "fires" patient...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cave Man, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

2. Shivetya macrumors 65816

So how long before some state or government agency makes it "Child Abuse" to not vaccinate your child and takes the children away?

It will happen.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And it should. It's about as bad as the parents who tried to pray their daughter's diabetes away instead of getting treatment, which led to her death. There has been no scientifically proven link between vaccines and autism. When Jenny McCarthy is the main spokesperson for your little movement, you know it has no credibility.

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

It's a slippery slope. Today it's vaccines, tomorrow it is..I don't know, I'm stuck for something right now.

I agree that the prayer thing was disturbing, but there vaccines are a different issue. Did my kid get all the standard vaccinations? Yes. When she is old enough for Gardasil or whatever that cervical cancer vaccine is? I don't know. Why would I question it? Because I haven't had time to really research it. When it popped up, I really didn't care since I am naturally immune to cervical cancer. I want to know what treatment she is getting and what the risks are. Will I change my mind by the time she is 8 or whatever? Most likely. But I would not be comfortable at this current point in my education.

As for the Dr. dumping the patient - that shouldn't be news. Any doctor (or lawyer) should have the right to dump their patient, so long as the individual is not denied treatment. If that means helping find someone who will take over, so be it. If the patient is well with no immediate need to seek treatment - then so long.

5. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Hopefully, not too long.

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

You don't need the government to "make" it child abuse to withhold essential medical treatment from a child.

They were discussing vaccination on the radio this morning and the sheer idiocy coming from the mouths of self-satisfied twentysomethings was staggering. It had me yelling at my radio. Most of them were males being all very impressed with how young and healthy and strong they were saying things like "I want to get my immune system stronger naturally instead of weakening it by relying on vaccinations," and worse, "how do we know that little girl who died of swine flu wouldn't have been able to fight it off if her immune system wasn't weakened by all the other shots kids have to get?"

We know that because windmills do not work that way, you ****ing dolt. Did kids in the 90s not have to take eighth grade health class or something? Vaccines cannot either weaken or strengthen your overall immune system. They trigger it. If your immune system is compromised, all the vaccination in the world won't do you any good. And for you "do it naturally" a******s, it's just awesome we've reached the point you have the luxury of having no idea what "natural" means. You know how your ancestors dealt with these diseases naturally? They ****ing died. They got sick and they died, in massive, massive numbers. That's a pretty ****ing natural thing to do. Parents planned on having a lot of children and didn't get too attached to them because half of them were going to die of something horrible before they turned five.

But you braying jackasses, you've never seen or even heard of that. It's so far removed from your lives you cannot even imagine it. You assume that robust good health is just the natural state of human existence, and why? Because your parents got you your shots, that's why.

But now it's become the fashion for hip young upper-middle-class idiots to squirt out kids and decide that standard medical treatment for their children is the place for them to start flexing their trendy "question authority" muscles. It's all "Western Medicine" this and "Big Pharma" that, coming from morons who don't claim to know anything, but merely to suspect that people who do know don't know as much as they claim. The jealous, lazy "equality of outcome" attitude with which those kids were raised leads them to mistake intelligence and hard-won expertise for a kind of elitism they should be able to rebel against. "I HAS TEH INTERWEBZ. I R EXPERTZ TOO." A certain percentage of them will end up with dead kids as a result. A smaller percentage of people who do vaccinate will end up with dead kids too, and it will be the idiots' fault, because vaccination is a program that works across an entire population, and is less effective when applied selectively. In the process we threaten to roll back progress on a contender for the greatest health advancement humans have ever made.

In conclusion, your doctor knows more than you. Suck it up, get over yourself and listen to him.

Sorry. That's been festering in my brain all morning.

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

^ +100

Seriously. Patton Oswalt was on a rant on his DVD about those same types of people and how they shun modern medical advancements for giving birth...

"Do you know what the Pioneers were thinking as they gave birth on a dirty wood floor? DOCTORS AND HOSPITALS!"

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Not sure if anybody here is old enough to remember but when I was a child in the 50's the government gave out flu shots in schools each year.

Nobody thought different about it either.

9. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

No apologies needed.

::::::::::applause::::::::::

I remember getting polio vaccines. Do we see polio victims anymore? Anybody wearing bags of camphor around their necks anymore? Houses boarded up and quarantined? Care to hazard a guess as to why?
    Yep, vaccines and education.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Gelfin in full flight is a beautiful thing to behold :D!

11. No1451 macrumors 6502

How I feel in a nutshell, however we SHOULD continue to question and probe because honestly the human body is very complex and we should never rest, assuming we know everything.

You're right about vaccines though, though some research has proven them to not be quite as effective against influenza as might be believed THEY ARE EFFECTIVE. And lets say that vaccines do cause autism, balance that against deaths:

All things considered, I'd rather be autistic than dead.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And there we have it: half an argument, and that is all you have, but you feel the need to voice it all the same.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Considering the same thing is basically happening with first responders with the H1N1 vaccine with people in critical positions where the unions are refusing the flu vaccine and sending it back.

C'mon people, you are going to get exposed and turn into a carrier to spread the disease to others who are sick.

Yay people, we need you in our time of need and you are willing to become a disease vector that may kill us when you come to save us.

14. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Good. It's bad parenting to not protect your child, it's selfish if you don't help to keep disease away from your community using innoculation.

a clue.

You're stuck for a clue.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Unless of course he's taking kickbacks from big pharma or is part owner of the surgery center he insists on you going to, or, or, or....

Sure, doctors know more but I'm not always convinced that they always use that knowledge to the sole benefit of the patient.

16. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

How do we address the subject of your argument? Doctor Strawman, or Mister Strawman?

Are there doctors who are less than ethical? I'm sure. So? Avoid them all?

That's like saying, "No, I don't want to go on a date with Jennifer Aniston, because she's a woman, and I saw a really ugly woman** once, so no."

17. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

What was intended as a tongue in cheek statement wasn't the crux of my post, but if you believe that is all it offered, I'm disappointed. I thought my comments on why some vaccines may inspire more concern than others or my point that dumping a petient shouldn't be news was worth something. I'll try harder.

But, if you really want something there, how about junk food or obesity? Today we call not vaccinating abuse, tomorrow we call taking your kid out for a burger abuse. Or maybe we'll tell the parents of a kid who's BMI is sky high that they are abusing the kid and place him with someone who will straighten that out.

Do I agree with the non-vaccinators? No. Especially the established vaccines, whatever real or imagined cost there may be (as unscientific as the autism point is), is outweighted by the benefit to society. Johnny developing autism is a small sacrifice to make so that Johnny, Suzy, and Eddy don't die of measles.

Does that make you feel better?

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Therein lies the problem. Namely, the AMA.

Unless of course you can point me to an organization that rates doctors and publicly displays all their wrongdoings...

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Much.

20. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

My childrens pediatrician turns away parents who dont vaccinate their children referring them to other practices.
    Unvaccinated children put every other child at risk that walks into that office.

The "antivaccine movement" has begun to become quite heated recently with the h1n1 vaccine. Theres a story floating around the internet about a Washington Redskins cheerleader who claims to have become paralyzed from the vaccine. Some are buying it while others who have watched the youtube interview with her are saying shes making it up and a hoax...

The crap ive been reading about vaccines on the net is making my head spin. Paranoia, lies and misinformation based on pseudoscience.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And let me guess, we should all pray for this person and for every person we forward it to, Bill Gates will donate a thousand dollars to fight the swine flu? ;)

Don't ya just love chain emails?

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

not a chain email.
    heres the video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScGC7nFDxM
    you be the judge...
    personally, i dont know what to make of it...
    but im not buying that it was from the vaccine.

23. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

People who don't vaccinate their kids are complete and total idiots.

End of story.

Don

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The problem is that these views aren't constrained to dark corners of the internet. They get legitimised on programs like fox news. For instance this video about the swine flu vaccine starts out mild enough giving some good general info but soon descends into anti-vax insanity. The "infectious diseases expert" Dr spouts of blatant lies about mercury and autism that isn't backed up (in fact disproved) by the evidence. It doesn't stop him instilling fear that incredibly rare mitochondrial diseases or disease like fibromyalgia are reasons not to be vaccinated. The whole interview is absolutely laughable.

All presented as "the other side". Who knows how far they had to go to find such a quack. But to a lay person it's understandably alarming. He's speaking from a position of authority about complex, scary diseases that very few would have the training and understanding to refute. And topped off with the personal "not my kids it's too great a risk".

edit:
    Good grief what rubbish.

25. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

It would be nice to be able to say that and be done with it, unfortunately all the unvaccinated children are putting all the other children (mine included) at risk, especially very young infants who have yet to begin the vaccine treatments.

But yes, total idiots.

BTW, cover story on WIRED this month "FEAR" about this very subject.

FOX news has become a poison on society. politics is one thing but this just plain irresponsible.