Doctor Who: feminist attack, or good choice?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jul 16, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

after 50+ years, Doctor Who's main character will be a woman.
    Personally, as someone who watched all the Doctors (I love even the first), I don't see the need for it, but I am open to watch it. I am only afraid that the formula won't work and that production has decided to go that route only for PC pressure.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...tor-who-jodie-whittaker-announced-13th-doctor

(I have no idea who she is).

2. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Why would the Doctor change hair, eye and now gender but never skin colour? I will give it a chance as I love Doctor Who and I personally was annoyed when some fans complained that Peter Capaldi was too old (my second favorite after Matt Smith). I liked Michelle Gomez as Missy/Master but I didn't appreciate how they hammered the point over the last two series especially in the finale. We'll see.

3. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

He/she will change skin color soon.

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Really? The Doctor couldn't be female, ...just for the hell of it? Shake things up, the show's been on forever.

At this point, it shouldn't matter what the doctor is, it's all about story.

5. Type4O macrumors 6502

Type4O

Nobody should be surprised by this. They pushed it hard Missy and Capaldi's Doctor mentioned the possibility more than once.

I for one don't like it. I have been watching Dr Who for as long as I can remember. Call me sexist or a misogynist, I don't care. To me the Doctor is a man, always has been, and always should be.

The Master is a trickster and loves disguises. Rarely has he been in a story where he does not start off disguised, so switching gender is not beyond him just to play a trick on the Doctor and keep him guessing a bit longer.

When Michelle Gomez turned up I though she would be the Rani.

Let's hope they manage to make it work, or this just might tank Who for good.

6. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Well, plot wise who the Doctor really is (the guy ready to kill his own race) is quite important.
    Again, I will give her a chance (I just hope for her sake that she is not plagued by the awful writing of the recent seasons that wasted an amazing Matt Smith and nearly destroyed Capaldi).
    What I am afraid is that the formula won't work. Doctor is a fascinating, yet egomaniac individual, and every time his companion (especially stronger ones like the amazing Donna) has to tell him that he's a jerk, a dangerous being, a total ass. The few times that this didn't happen (Martha? Rory?), it was a failure. Will they hold this fundamental behavior back because she's a female? Are the writers ready to say that a woman causes unnecessary, untimely death and pain? I am not so sure.

7. vrDrew, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Given the (handy, from a production and casting standpoint) premise that these Time Lords can periodically regenerate into a totally different human form, I see no problem whatsoever. Jodie Whittaker was great in Broadchurch, and assuming she loses the Dorset burr she had in that show, she'll make an excellent TimeLord. It's the perfect point in her career to move to the center of the action. Viewers of Broadchurch will, of course, remember her working alongside Tenth Doctor David Tennant.

Some general Doctor Who notes: It has been many decades since I was a dedicated Whovian. I grew up in the age of Darleks and Cybermen. And nowadays I have several actual robots in my own house. They never scream "exterminate!" at me. And any "emergency" can usually be handled with a soft reboot. The idea that police officers might need to find a special landline phone booth to contact their headquarters seems like was from another age.

The original Doctor Who theme music, which dates from 1963, was an incredible achievement and was the first piece of electronic music ever used in broadcast television. The story of how the brilliant sound engineers at the BBC radiophonic workshop is a story unto itself. I remember, as a child, being transfixed by the unique spooky sounds and eerie rhythms those geniuses created by cutting and looping bits of audiotape. Although I obviously had no idea that was how it was done.

Lastly, there have been more than a few Doctor Who parodies I can recall. But none as childishly hilarious as this one from British humor comic Viz's (long past) glory days is one I treasure. Caution: NSFW, for copious British toilet humor.

8. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Agreed. Most of it will be in the writing, which has been awful so far. Moffat should go back to Coupling.
    I also think that the show needs a full year off.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 16, 2017 ---
    I am watching Broadchurch as we speak. She's definitely a good actor, I have no doubt that she's great. I am just afraid that it won't work character and plot wise.

9. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I'm not a huge follower of Dr. Who, but my understanding is that the Doctor has no control over, or ability to predict, exactly what will happen to him when he regenerates. (I've heard there were episodes where time lords regenerated into non-humanoid forms, and I could swear that I watched an episode where the Master was being carried around by the Doctor as a few liters of sludge in a bucket...)

Anyway, I see no reason why the Doctor must be a man. He's not even a human to start with. (Or is he half-human? I forget.)

10. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

He has never been ginger either ;)

11. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Well I disagree as an 11th and 12th Doctor fan about the writing some of the RTD era was dire as well. I honestly was hoping Capaldi would stay on for one more series just to see how he works with Chibnall. Oh well there is always Star Trek and Star wars.

12. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I don't really care. Hollywood is so stuck on let's make a sequel. Let's make it bigger. Purple, maybe. Put more plastique in the car wrecks... I'd rather watch three foreign film "duds" in a row and discover a gem on the fourth go, than watch most stuff comes out of Hollywood now. They have lost their way seeking a big-dollar outcome rather than a story and film that could produce better financial results. Look at how much stuff now goes slinking direct to DVD...

13. PracticalMac, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Peter Capaldi was on for only 1 season? (Update: 3 years? wow, we are behind in US! Or I am. I don't watch shows on computer, especially pay for it)
    I was an avid Who watcher when shown in US, but my habits have changed for various reasons.

Its much like Star Trek, Who tends to trip over itself, but over all a jolly fun show to rot your mind on.

Honestly, maybe people do not get it with shows like Who.
    The Doc is an alien who happens to look like a homosapian male (largely for production cost reasons).
    These days Doc could be Smegol played by CG skinned Andy Serkis.
    Or maybe Yoda+Who? Now that would be a double whammy.
    So a dark skinned woman playing the Doc, the only issue will be whats in our preconceived programed notions of gender roles.

It is all about the script and the actor's skill, if they mesh perfectly, does not matter Who.

14. zin macrumors 6502

Stopped watching years ago. Quality went way down when Steven Moffat took over.

This sounds more like the BBC's attempt to appease the social justice warriors over anything else.

15. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Seeing the reactions to this on other sites, I'm not sure who's whinier: SJWs or the "childhood ruined" crowd?

16. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

You just cant change established characters genders or race just to be PC.
    Thats just wrong in my book.

17. JesperA macrumors 6502a

I had no idea that Steven Moffat took over, i thought Coupling was brilliant, still is, a shame there was only 4 seasons. But sure, his style maybe isn't fitting for Dr Who.

I would vote for you as the biggest whiner in this thread, "oh, people of another opinion than me and people engaging in a discussion, i better stand on my moral high-ground and put them down to make me feel better", do you want a pat on the back or something?

18. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Where did this come from? **** off.

Guess you can't take my opinion, which I gave, and you reacted like a child. Shows your level of "snowflake".

19. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

But surely the Doctor must be a special case! The whole point of "regeneration" involved the Doctor becoming someone different; and not just physically, but mentally. Personality, habits, preferences; everything could potentially change with each regeneration.

And I think you want the regeneration process to be as undesirable as possible, just as a plot point: the Doctor should really see regeneration as the last resort, as tantamount to "death", something he (or she!) would never want to rely on to get out of a situation. The new Doctor may still be the old Doctor, but should still treat other regenerations as essentially different people...

20. JesperA macrumors 6502a

I have never had any respect for people who cant give their own opinion about a topic without bringing people of other opinions down first. Also, you did not bring any opinion on the topic really, just an immature insult for people that want to discuss this topic.

21. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

First of all, I prefaced my observation on what I had read on other sites, if you had bothered to read my post. It was not a response to what people were posting here, but rather a comment on the immature stuff I had seen on other sites in reaction (i.e. "feminists are destroying this show!" type of language). It is a fact that I saw whininess coming from both sides, so I commented on that fact. Your immediate response was to take my comment personally which says more about you than it does about me.

22. bandrews macrumors 6502a

I really haven’t enjoyed the past few incarnations of the Doctor - but that’s mostly down to the script writing. I honestly don’t care what sex/race/whatever the Doctor is as long as the show is good. Capaldi could have given the show a darker edge but he just came across like a second rate children’s entertainer. I get that it’s aimed towards a younger audience but films such as Hunger Games show you can appeal to a younger audience without dumbing down to the point of stupidity.

Speaking of theme tune - saw Orbital live last weekend playing their reworking of the Dr Who theme. INCREDIBLE.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Hilarious thread.

And how quaintly and strangely threatened some people seem to be by a (possibly timely?) reimagining of a classic non-human character into another character (who just happens to be from a non-mainstream gender)......

24. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Plus he coulda started with me and been better off, since I didn't even know it didn't come from Hollywood and yet I still chose to post a whiney opinion lol. Missed opportunities abound everywhere!

25. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Let the ratings decide. Didn't seem to fair too well with Ghostbusters and Marvel's recent gender swaps, but maybe this time it will be different.