DOD official: Snowden ‘stole everything – literally everything’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Dec 17, 2013.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden stole vastly more information than previously speculated, and is holding it at ransom for his own protection.

“What’s floating is so dangerous, we’d be behind for twenty years in terms of access (if it were to be leaked),” a ranking Department of Defense official told the Daily Caller.

“He stole everything – literally everything,” the official said.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/17/dod-official-snowden-stole-everything-literally-everything/

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Hopefully this is true and it al comes out. But I wouldn't be surprised if they are just saying this so they can get away with whatever else they are doing if everything that gets leaked gets shut down.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It is a feint: if he really had stolen "everything", they would say it was the tip of the iceberg. If the "enemy" thinks it is everything (unlikely), they might get caught off-guard by what was not there.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I guess they better give him a cast iron amnesty then...

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

In the linked article...

Terrific use of the idiom...considering the circumstances.:rolleyes:

6. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Haha if that is "everything" this organization is extremely inefficient! No one believes what has been leaked is even close to 1% of whatever everything is or maybe some people would :eek:

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Good for him. Hopefully it all comes out. The NSA needs to be knocked down a lot of pegs.

This man deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

8. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

They want him gone

They most likely know he is out of valuable information.
    I think the U.S. Government is just trying to paint a giant target on this guy so some other country will do our dirty work.

9. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Why, the other countries want to know what dirt he has. They wont take him out.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    "And by everything, I mean everything, people. Literally. Everything. He took all our office supplies, the coffee creamer from the break room, the complimentary mints, the wash bucket out of the janitor closet. Everything. Bastard even took all the rolls of toilet paper out of the bathrooms. Poor Janice sat in the stall screaming for HOURS before someone found her. It was terrible..."

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Never eat the mints.

It seems odd that the NSA didn't employ any DLP. Sneakernet is alive and well.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I thank you sir.

Interesting to see how there's a marked difference in accounts between Forbes, which claims Snowden was given his access and Reuters, which said Snowden got his access by convincing other NSA employees to give up their passwords.

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

:D:D:D

People keep using that idiom. I don't think it means what they think it means. When you consider how much destruction really occurred in a single event in the bible. The nations destroyed usually consisted of a single city or at most a handful of cities. Even the great flood only affect a portion of what's now the Middle East.

So yeah, Biblical proportions...Yeaaah...Okay. We might lose Rhode Island in the backwash. Biblical proportions, buddy.

Snowden is da Man.:cool:

14. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

I think if he'd stolen everything he probably wouldn't be alive

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is the Daily Caller we're talking about here. A Breitbart wanna be.

16. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I am not saying they would. They would just lock him up and torture him if they thought he knew more..

Think of it as a parting shot.

17. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

There are supposedly 2 other people that have all of the data. So if Snowden disappears it all comes out. I don't think they want to take that chance

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

19. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

It is all a mirage the NSA doesn't exist... that about right?

20. chown33 macrumors 604

Then he slunk to the ice box. He took the Whos' feast,
    he took the Who pudding, he took the roast beast.
    He cleaned out that ice box as quick as a flash.
    Why, the Grinch even took their last can of Who hash.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's smoke and mirrors for sure. They want him to be persona non grata globally so they ratcheting up counter psy-ops to harm him even beyond the NSA's reach.

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I can excuse the roast beef, but no one takes a man's hash. NO ONE!

23. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The NSA's Rick Ledgett used the term "keys of the kingdom", which is an older IT term that usually meant that someone had gained root or privileged access to a system, which in turn would give the person access to anything/everything on the system or "literally everthing" as the article states.

But looking at the actual quote, the "keys" Ledgett seems to be referring to is the "information on how countries can protect against U.S. surveillance".

So in that content, the use of the "keys to the kingdom" phrase makes little sense -- "keys" are usually something that allows access (root password, etc.), rather than being something that prevents access.

24. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

No doubt he stole the templates for how the NSA operates. We don't know the scale of what raw data he as and I don't know if anybody will ever know.

25. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Interestingly enough, the CBS 60 Minutes piece, the original source of the "he stole everything" story, was written by a man who used to work for National Intelligence.