Does 4gb of ram go as far in the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by capathy21, Jun 25, 2014.

1. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Advice needed. I am picking up a Mac for my wife today and am either going to get the 4/128 13 inch Air, or the 4/128 rMBP. I have the 4/128 Air for myself so I know how well it performs.

She is interested in the better display of the rMBP but our budget (since I just bought one too) is maxed out at the base model rMBP. Her usage is email, facebook, word documents, excel, Pandora/Spotify and other basic stuff.

My main question is will the rMBP perform as snappy as the Air on the 4/128 configuration? I assume it would due to a higher clocked processor, but I also know it is pushing a much higher res display. I have used the 8/256 rMBP but not the base model.

If the base model rMBP performs as well as the Air on basic tasks, I have no doubt it would be more than enough to get her through grad school.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably will be "snappier" to use your word because the CPU and GPU are superior in the rMPB. OSX will behave just the same in both computers with 4gb or ram, but the faster CPU/GPU will improve the overall performance.

3. capathy21 thread starter macrumors 65816

capathy21

Great thanks!

4. capathy21 thread starter macrumors 65816

capathy21

Picked up the base model rMBP tonight. Was supposed to be for my wife but after getting it home she thought the air was better for her so I am keeping the rMBP for myself. Not going to complain though. Screen is amazing!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

6. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Lucky you!