Does 8600 512 runnin hotter than 9600 256? and a question about hybrid sly in snow l.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vodka, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Vodka macrumors regular

Deciding which MBP to buy
    mart 2008 mbp with 8600-512 or new UMBP with 9600-256

also want to know if there will be a possibility of using both gpu in snow leopard ever
    what do you think?

sorry for my crappy english))

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

VRAM amount has very, very little effect on the heat of a video card. The heat output between the two is pretty much the same, although the 8600 tends to feel hotter because of the way the heatsink is oriented in the older machines.

As for HybridSLI.....ok, it consists actually of two different features:

HybridPower - Switching, either manually or automatically, between two GPUs on the fly. This IS supported in the MBPs hardware, although currently it isn't supported in OS X. It seems some process involving the display, like loginwindow or WindowServer (I forget which does what) can't deal with more than one GPU, and needs to restart to switch (this may also be why the Mac Pro doesn't support ATI Crossfire, despite having all the necessary hardware).

GeForce Boost - This is using both a IGP and the discrete GPU together. The MBP DOES NOT support this, since the 9600M is not capable of being the "Discrete Card" in the pair.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/hybridsli_notebook.html

3. Vodka thread starter macrumors regular

got it
    so if we get two 9600 in future mb/mbp we can possibly use both?

tnx)

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

There are plans to use Hybrid SLI technology in Snow Leopard which will make both the graphics cards in the current MBP work at once, infact its already possible if you install windows onto your MBP using bootcamp! Which i did, and it works fine.

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Isn't Hybrid SLI technology about power management (e.g., switching GPUs on the fly)? I think the OP is interested in OpenCL in SL, which is about redirecting GPU processing power for general-purpose computing.

6. Vodka thread starter macrumors regular

oh....i thought hybrid sly is using both gpu...
    got it
    tnx =)

7. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Bootcamping windows does not cause your computer to use both graphics cards. It uses the 9600 in windows.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I didn't say 'Bootcamping windows does not cause your computer to use both graphics cards' what i said was 'its already possible if you install windows onto your MBP' I.E. with the right software and drivers, under Windows, its possible to use both graphics card in an SLI format at the same time!

:rolleyes:

9. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

Mine already hits 105C in windows.. Using BOTH cards at once would be murder.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Mine runs at 85C in windows with both graphics cards operating and playing a game (when i tested it i was playing Fallout 3 on the highest graphical settings) I think im just lucky though because these unibody's seem to be getting something of a reputation for overheating, if my quad core PC goes over 45C i go nuts so i wonder what damage this is doing to the macbook components.