Does a 3GS GPS chip stop working when WiFi is switched off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Little-Acorn, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Little-Acorn macrumors newbie

I can't figure out why my 32GB 3GS is behaving this way.

I use the "Maps" app that came with it, and it seems to work pretty well when Ihave both WiFi and Cellular Network Data turned on. I also use Trimble Outdoors Navigation, it also seems to work fiarly well. At least it can find where I am, within a few hundred yards. Not the accuracy I usually get with my old Garmin Emap, but at least it's something.

But when I turn off WiFi (using "Settings/General"), suddenly the 3GS hasn't a clue where it is, whether you're running the "Maps" app or the Trimble app. With WiFi on, it usually takes a few minutes to figure out where it is, but then it comes thru fine. Not so when WiFi is off - I can stand in one spot for 10 minutes or more in a clear outdoor area, with either app, and it keeps showing where I was early in the morning, 12 miles away. Obviously it isn't getting a GPS fix.

Anybody know why it seems to lose its way when ***WiFi*** is turned off? I would have thought the GPS chip doesn't need WiFi's help.

A 3GS *does* have a GPS chip, doesn't it?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It does work when the WiFi is turned off. But it takes longer to find you because it first uses WiFi access points to locate you like an iPod Touch.

3. pmau macrumors 65816

I can use my 3GS with Navigon in my car without WiFi turned on.
    So I'm pretty sure both work independently.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like you might have installed the ipad baseband to unlock it and in the process killed your GPS function.
    Am I correct?

5. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

It usually shows the notification that says something like "Location accuracy is improved when Wi-Fi is enabled"

6. Little-Acorn thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the 3GS used, and found it was already unlocked, apparently by the previous owner. I was very happy to find that, since I wanted to use it with T-Mobile Pay-as-you-go (with $2/day Cellular Data option), and that's how I'm using it now. If it hadn't already been unlocked when I got it, I would have unlocked it.

But... you seem to be saying that unlocking it, "kills the GPS function". Is this true?

Is there any way to unlock a 3GS WITHOUT killing GPS?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go to settings, general, about, modem firmware.
    If its 06.15.00 it's unlocked using the iPad bb and this kills your gps functionality.
    There's currently no option to change that if u do have it installed.