Other Does a 5.4 inch iPhone 12 interest you?

macher

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah I’m curious about this, and how much smaller it will feel in the hand. I love the size of the SE2 (6,7,8), and I also like the rounded edges. I’m curious about something smaller and squared off. I just don’t know if the screen size will be different enough to matter, and how the notch will look on a smaller screen like that.

I wasn’t ever one of those anti-notch folks until I went to the SE2 and then got an 11 again and was suddenly more annoyed by the notch than before.
Well the screen is going to be like 1/3 of an inch larger than the SE 2020 about in a smaller phone.

• Wow
Reactions: GrumpyMom

ssledoux

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well the screen is going to be like 1/3 of an inch larger than the SE 2020 about in a smaller phone.
Wait - isn’t the SE 2020 4.7? And the 5.4 a 5.4? That’s .7” which is a little more than a 1/2“, right? That may be pretty noticeable on that size phone, but it doesn’t seem like much does it?

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You mean phone size or screen size, or both? I wonder if the squaring off the edges will make it seem even smaller, and the screen size being .7” with a notch not really feeling much bigger. IDK. I’m definitely curious.
Both. If the difference in size between the two is more a difference on paper than in noticeable day to day usage, I may just keep my SE, seeing how I spend most my time on the iPad Pro. However, if the difference between the two is noticeable such that I can easily use the 5.4” phone single handed, (which I can’t do with the new SE even though I wear extra large gloves) that would lean me toward getting the new model and hanging onto it for several years.

I really enjoyed the original SE for the size and form factor. It was the perfect size for actual phone use, and was easy to slip in my running hydration vest. The only reason I ditched it for day to day use, is because it wasn’t playing nice with my series 5 watch.

For the people with aging eyes like me, get glasses, if you don’t have them already.

Reactions: subjonas

MrMiyagi1

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2019
I can’t wait for the 5.4 inch iPhone 12. I have the XR and only really got it because it was the most affordable iPhone at the time it launched. I have put up with the large screen and holding the iPhone with 2 hands for nearly 2 years now. Can’t wait to change. I will sell my XR before my upgrade is due in December. Yes the battery life has been good and the big screen been good too for me. However I am ready for the 5.4 model.

I just want an iPhone that will be comfortable to hold in one hand and that fits in my pocket without adding any bulk and it’s an iPhone with the latest tech apart from the pro features. Can’t wait. It’s like I am counting down the days.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68020
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
If you would’ve asked me this before the iPhone 6 debuted, I would’ve been interested. Since the 6+ launched, I’ve been using + and Max sized phones along with the X for 18 months which I hated because I felt it was too small. This year I’m upgrading my XS Max to the 12 Pro Max. I can never go smaller than 5.8 again.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
You know honestly I have a max and Ive been reading on here of how people using smaller phones and reading deep into details about it has gotten my attention so now I feel like my next phone is going to be smaller than the max sizes

I have a silicone battery pack on my phone so its really big and heavy coming from a 6s to 11 pro max so I agree on smaller phones being more comfortable

tt061282

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
This year (2020) already I have used... iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone SE (2nd Gen) and an iPhone 11 (6.1”). I honestly don’t know yet if I want to go to a 5.4” screen size in a phone about the same size as the SE (1st Gen). I always thought I wanted an edge to edge screen that was 4.7” to 5.1” in size, but since using the iPhone 11 I’m not sure I want to go down in size again.

That said, I do believe the 5.4” iPhone 12 is pretty much going to have all the latest tech in it. We know it will have the A14. I’m sure it may only have 4GB of RAM compared to 6GB in the pro models. Probably only 2 camera’s, but honestly what does it matter?

I’m certain that the 5.4” iPhone 12 will sell like absolute hot cakes and people won’t think twice about any “shortcomings” it may or may not have.

I’m just not too sure yet if I’m one of those people 🤷🏽‍♂️

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
Wait - isn’t the SE 2020 4.7? And the 5.4 a 5.4? That’s .7” which is a little more than a 1/2“, right? That may be pretty noticeable on that size phone, but it doesn’t seem like much does it?
The 5.4" iPhone 12's display is expected to be taller than the 4.7" SE but it will also be narrower.

To be honest, diagonal sizes can be misleading particularly when you still have that notch taking up space (unless you fancy watching videos with a groove on one of the edges).

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Shortcomings - small display, small battery, 4GB RAM.

But the 5.4" will sell because of price, just like the SE2. As a 6.5" user, it's hard for me to go back to 5.8" much less 5.4"

Reactions: tt061282

macher

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2012
Shortcomings - small display, small battery, 4GB RAM.

But the 5.4" will sell because of price, just like the SE2. As a 6.5" user, it's hard for me to go back to 5.8" much less 5.4"
Small display isn’t a short coming because those of us who want a smaller chassis already know this. And those of us who like the SE 2020 chassis will be getting a bigger screen anyway.

A short coming will be the battery IMO opinion but that’s what you get with a smaller chassis unless the make the phone thicker.

You are already a the largest screen user anyway so I can see it being hard to go down to a 5.4.

I would say a lot of people who are 11 Pro users ‘were forced into a larger chassis’ because you didn’t have a choice in the latest and greatest.

I bet most people wanted a larger screen on the 8 chassis for example. But that didn’t happen. To get a larger screen on the 8 chassis would have meant screen to screen which didn’t didn’t happen.

I had the 11 Pro for over 3 months and didn’t like the chassis. I missed the comfortably pocketable 6/7/8 chassis but always wanted a screen to screen.

I would say most people here agree that the chassis of the 6/7/8 were the most comfortable chassis because of pocketable and use in a compact design.

Now we are getting it finally.

For me it’s not about the price. I had the 11 Pro for over 3 months and price wasn’t an issue.

macher

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2012
That’s significant without making the chassis larger than the 6/7/8/SE 2020

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If it’s not 649 it will be 699 most likely.
I will take $650 or $700. Sell my SE 2020 for $250 and that will leave me $500 out of pocket for the new 5.4”, should I decide to upgrade.

Will the screen be curved like it is on the new SE? If so, it will be difficult to put a screen protector on. I miss the screen of the SE where you knew a screen protector would fit perfectly.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
With the reduction on bezel sizes rumoured to be coming in iPhone 12, this 5.4 inch could end up being the same total physical size as the 1st generation iPhone SE. Obviously it won't have the latest tech in it, like the larger models will but it'll be mostly up to date (unlike the SE series). For many that is a trade off that they are willing to take.
On the other hand you have people who would easily pre-order a new modern phone sized iPhone if they start existing again. These people have phone size as their #1 priority. I am one of these people. For the record, my daily driver is a 1st generation SE.

Rene Ritchie has a decent video up on the subject also. He asks the question - Buy a 2nd generation SE now or wait for a phone sized iPhone 12, assuming Apple is actually releasing them at all. There's a lot more than just size to consider. However, important as that is, many phone sized iPhone users mostly just want a phone sized iPhone. That's it really. As long as it gets the job done of being a phone with some small computing (like emails and on the go content consumption), that's all these people want.
For these people it'll mostly come down to the price as well as how new it is. Not for any specific features, but the newer iPhones last longer longer before they stop getting supported on new iOS versions. Yes these phone sized iPhones are cheaper, they are still not a cheap phone. People want to keep them for as long as possible.

So what do you think about the rumoured 5.4 inch iPhone 12? Does it interest you?
Why won't it have the latest tech in it?

ssledoux

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
This year (2020) already I have used... iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone SE (2nd Gen) and an iPhone 11 (6.1”). I honestly don’t know yet if I want to go to a 5.4” screen size in a phone about the same size as the SE (1st Gen). I always thought I wanted an edge to edge screen that was 4.7” to 5.1” in size, but since using the iPhone 11 I’m not sure I want to go down in size again.

That said, I do believe the 5.4” iPhone 12 is pretty much going to have all the latest tech in it. We know it will have the A14. I’m sure it may only have 4GB of RAM compared to 6GB in the pro models. Probably only 2 camera’s, but honestly what does it matter?

I’m certain that the 5.4” iPhone 12 will sell like absolute hot cakes and people won’t think twice about any “shortcomings” it may or may not have.

I’m just not too sure yet if I’m one of those people 🤷🏽‍♂️
LOL you sound worse than me! Did you wind up with an 11?

I’ve used an 11, then SE2, then 11 pro, then 11 again, then back to SE2, so definitely not as many, but plenty dang frustrating. Though the 5.4 will have a bigger screen, I’m not sure I’m interested in the overall size of my phone being smaller than the SE2. LOVE the size.

Honestly, I loved the size of the 11 pro. It was the weight that I didn’t love (well, and the price - just hurts me to pay over $1K for a phone).

ssledoux

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
The 5.4" iPhone 12's display is expected to be taller than the 4.7" SE but it will also be narrower.

To be honest, diagonal sizes can be misleading particularly when you still have that notch taking up space (unless you fancy watching videos with a groove on one of the edges).
Yeah I’m not positive I’d particularly love that, and I was also thinking that about the notch in a smaller device - seems like if you’re only getting an extra half inch or so then losing part of that to the notch, you really aren’t gaining much. I like the way the display looks on the SE2, even though it’s small.

eyetic

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2020
Don't care about the price, got a 6 plus, swithched to 6, then original SE, then a normal 8, if this one is smaller than the normal ip8 then I'll be buying it by day one.

I use my phone for whatsapp (when not at desk), taking some pictures and random apps like reddit, IG and banks apps, I spend my day on a 29" screen so no interest in having a bigger screen, believe there's plenty of people out there like me that just want a phone to have in its pocket (shirt front pocket if possible!!). If its not finally released then i'll wait till my 8 dies and buy an SE, bigger than this makes no sense for me and my usage.

Reactions: subjonas

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
I just saw a new rumored report that the 5.4” will not be $649 but, $749.00 plus tax, tag and title.
A bit annoying but still within my comfort zone especially if they go with 128GB base storage. I always spent around $750-850 before tax to get the higher storage tiers. Won't need to do that if 128GB is base.

Reactions: compwiz1202

macher

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah I’m not positive I’d particularly love that, and I was also thinking that about the notch in a smaller device - seems like if you’re only getting an extra half inch or so then losing part of that to the notch, you really aren’t gaining much. I like the way the display looks on the SE2, even though it’s small.
Everyone has their preference but it boggles my mind why you wouldn’t like a smaller phone than the SE 2020 BUT with a larger screen.

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
Everyone has their preference but it boggles my mind why you wouldn’t like a smaller phone than the SE 2020 BUT with a larger screen.
It's a taller screen but it's also narrower. I think she's already had some issues typing on the 4.7" SE's display. It would be worse on a narrower device.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2015
I'm going to be quite black and white here… a 5.4" iPhone interested me when I cared. I no longer care because I now have gotten used to a 6.1" display. 2 years ago I would have bought an iPhone 5.4" at an "it doesn't matter" price because it was an iPhone. Today I no longer care.

Today its about what features I get in what size package. If I can't guarantee that there's a 5.4" iPhone coming after the 2020 iPhone what does it truly matter what the size it is? The only thing I can guarantee with Apple in 2020 is what will make them money in 2020. Outside of that I can only shrug my shoulders at.

In theory yes, I'm highly interested but Apple now has to show me that they'll stick to supporting that size. If they don't it's only about locking me into the ecosystem. I have since bought a phone that will last me to a time that I'll know if Apple supports the size or not. I'll decide then.

macher

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2012
I'm going to be quite black and white here… a 5.4" iPhone interested me when I cared. I no longer care because I now have gotten used to a 6.1" display. 2 years ago I would have bought an iPhone 5.4" at an "it doesn't matter" price because it was an iPhone. Today I no longer care.

Today its about what features I get in what size package. If I can't guarantee that there's a 5.4" iPhone coming after the 2020 iPhone what does it truly matter what the size it is? The only thing I can guarantee with Apple in 2020 is what will make them money in 2020. Outside of that I can only shrug my shoulders at.

In theory yes, I'm highly interested but Apple now has to show me that they'll stick to supporting that size. If they don't it's only about locking me into the ecosystem. I have since bought a phone that will last me to a time that I'll know if Apple supports the size or not. I'll decide then.
Why locking into ecosystem? The only part of Apple ecosystem I’m in is iMessage. Photos, calendar, contacts etc etc I don’t even use Safari. I’m on Google because it’s cross platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.