Does a new Mac Pro come with the retail box version of Leopard and iLife 08 DVDs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Jun 20, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

If I buy the new Mac Pro, I will replace the 320GB drive with a 1TB drive by myself. May be I shall test the machine first to make sure that it works. Then, swap the drive right away. What is the best way to move everything that come with the machine to the new, larger HD? If there is nothing extra that come with the machine (are there any?), perhaps installing directly from the DVDs to the new HD is the simplest way.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, it will come with 2 or 3 DVDs that are specific to that machine. These contain Leopard and other bundled apps. Usually, they are a plain grey with white type on them, and look nothing like the retail disks of Leopard and iLife. Some people end up losing them; not a good idea. ;)

3. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Best to re-install from scratch anyway. Not that it will be a problem on a 1TB disk, but you can save quite a bit of space by un-selecting languages and printer drivers you won't use.

AppleMatt

4. oacory macrumors regular

iLife '08

I am also pretty sure that the iLife is on the computer but you will not have a back up to it on a DVD. So if you ever have to reinstall the operating system, not that you will ever need to, you will be without iLife.

I know this was the fact with my iMac. I have 10.4 and I bought my mac last July and last November with iLife '06 I accidentally deleted iWeb from the applications folder. I tried putting in the two disks an installing it from the disk but I could not find the package to reinstall. I then called apple and they basically told me I couldn't find it because it wasn't there. It was basically there to entice people and to get them familiar with iLife so they would upgrade when '08 came out.

I then waited until December when I bought iLife '08 to get iWeb back.

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Sounds like you spoke to a noob in customer support, because everything that's installed on your Mac when you buy it new can be found on the DVDs that accompany the computer. Sometimes installing particular components is easier if you use something like Pacifist.

6. emaja macrumors 68000

Why not clone it over instead? You will save the headache of resetting the machine to your preferences. It is not like you will need the space on that 1TB drive now anyway.

You can always remove apps, languages, or printer drivers later.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

That does not sound good. How about trying the system first. If it works, install the second drive (and of course more RAM). Reformat the new drive using disk utility. Then, drag and drop the content from the original 350G HD to the 1TB drive? Is this the better way than cloning the original drive or installing everything from the DVD?

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um, no. Every program installed on your mac resides on the restore DVDs that come with the machine. You just didn't look hard enough.

Drag and drop? Dude, no. Absolutely not. Use disk utility or migration assistant. You can't drag and drop an operating system.

9. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    Why not leave the 320 gig drive in and add the 1TB as a secondary storage drive?

Am I missing something here?

10. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I would install the 1TB drive in the second drive bay in the Mac Pro. Insert the OS/X dvd in the computer and install it to the new drive. Once done, change the boot drive to the new drive and ensure everything is working. At that point, you can still copy files from the old drive if needed, or pull it.

As for someone's comment about iLife not coming on the installation DVd, I believe that is incorrect.

11. DsurioN macrumors regular

DsurioN

Yes, iLife should come on the Mac OS X installation DVD's with every mac. If you need to install it again, usually you can double-click "install optional software" (can't remember the exact terms) on the installation dvd and then select iLife.

12. weatherman316 macrumors member

So based on that would it always be ideal to do an os re-install when purchasing a new mac to free up space?

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There are a lot of aliases in the OS that specifically point to a specific HD. Drag and drop won't change all the aliases to the new drive.

Plus I don't think you can drag and drop and properly initialize the boot blocks.

14. macintosh tech macrumors member

The Mac Pro will come with two DVDs. The first has the OS and basic install options (X11, fonts, printer drivers, etc). The second contains Xcode and the iLife packages.

You do not get "retail" versions of the OS or iLife. The DVDs are machine specific, meaning you can't use them on something other than a Mac Pro. (you can get around this though).

iLife will be an option when you install Leopard, although it will require the second disc. The iLife packages are in a hidden folder on the second disc called "packages." If for some reason you want to see them or pull them out type this in terminal:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles Yes
    killall Finder
    That will make the folder visible. Alternatively you could in terminal cd to the packages folder and copy the files somewhere:

Code:
    cp -R *.* /some/directory
    That is if you want them. They are there though, but tied to the Bundled Software.mpkg on the first disc. To create a custom installer you could edit the .dist file in the .mpkg. That is what I do to have an installer that doesn't require two discs that can be pushed to machines with ARD.

15. Quartz Extreme macrumors regular

Quartz Extreme

Not since OS 9 anyways.

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

Tis true. I remember making bootable floppies in the early 90s. Oh, those were the days...

17. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I want to install Windows Vista and perhaps also Linux on the same HD.

18. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Is it ok to plug and unplug internal drives while the Mac Pro is on?

This seems to be a possible solution. About pulling the old drive. I often plug and unplug both the power and interface cables of the internal hard drives of my PC (while it is on) without problem. Will I damage the system (both hardware and software-wise) if I do that to the Mac Pro?

19. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I always do, and yes it does save quite a considerable amount of space.

AppleMatt

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I wouldn't recommend it. But then I wouldn't recommend doing it on a PC either unless it's equipped for hot-swapping.

21. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    I'd keep the drive in there still and boot from the TB drive. Format the 320gig as something all 3 OS's can read (and maybe write) and then you can use it as storage.

22. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I always deselect languages I don't speak. But, I always keep all the printer drivers selected. Never know when you'll get a new printer ;)

23. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Good idea. Which format do you recommend?

24. MatchFrame macrumors member

My Mac Pro will arrive in a few days (I've worked with Macs a while, but this is the first one to call my own), so I was wondering what the process is to "re-install from scratch" on the 500GB drive that comes with the Mac?

I am not adding any more hard drives just yet (very soon, though), so is it worth it to re-install on the already-installed hard drive?

And how much space are we talking about saving by doing a custom install this way?

25. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

Code:
    cp -R *.* /some/directory
    If you're about to copy a full system disk, I wouldn't recommend that. You should use ditto to do this (it preserve more thing):
    sudo ditto -rsrcFork [source] [destination]

Make sure you don't forget any folder even invisible one (change Backup with the name of the new Volumes).
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Applications /Volumes/Backup/Applications
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Developer /Volumes/Backup/Developer
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Library /Volumes/Backup/Library
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /System /Volumes/Backup/System
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /System\ Folder /Volumes/Backup/System\ Folder
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Users /Volumes/Backup/Users
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /cores /Volumes/Backup/cores
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /private /Volumes/Backup/private
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /usr /Volumes/Backup/usr
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /bin /Volumes/Backup/bin
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /sbin /Volumes/Backup/sbin
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /mach_kernel /Volumes/Backup/mach_kernel
    * sudo ditto -rsrcFork /.hidden /Volumes/Backup/.hidden

Recreate the symbolic link
    * cd /Volumes/Backup
    * ln -s private/etc etc
    * ln -s private/var var
    * ln -s private/tmp tmp
    * mkdir dev Volumes Network

Bless
    * sudo bless -folder /Volumes/Backup/System/Library/CoreServices \
    -bootinfo /usr/standalone/ppc/bootx.bootinfo

And your good to go, I made this several time, it work like a charm, be carefull and everything should go smoothly.