Does a Taller iPhone fulfill your need for a "Bigger" iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KittyKatta, Sep 4, 2012.

?

1. Yes. Taller is exactly what I wanted

59 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. No. I still want a bigger iPhone

150 vote(s)
    54.0%
  3. No. The old iPhone size was perfect and should never be touched

25 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. Not Sure

44 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. KittyKatta, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

To many people then the biggest gripe about the iPhone is that the rest of the industry started offering larger phones as user needs started maturing while Apple maintained a fairly small screen. So I'm curious if making the iPhone Taller but not Wider actually fulfills your desire for a "Bigger" iPhone.

Im definitely getting one since I prefer iOS over anything else, but for me it doesnt necessarily fix any of my screen complaints that I've had with my current and past iPhones for things like book reading, full websites (im not a fan of some mobile ones) and photo viewing. But we'll see if any surprises will help convince me this is the right move.

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If your needs truly are "needs" and if they're not being met then you're an idiot for buying it.
    End of story.
    Why is this even being discussed any more?
    The phone is what it is.
    It's not like Apple's going to read these threads and then suddenly redesign it to make some of you happy.
    If you want Apple to listen then vote with your wallet.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Apples giving you enough screen to shut those people up who have been barking for a larger screen for 2yrs. It's what they want to give you, whether it's usable or not. It's just a bigger number on a speck sheet. It won't affect web browsing, you'll still be stuck with a skinny screen that is a PITA is view. About the only things I can foresee a longer skinny screen is possibly game playing.

4. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I actually prefer mobile optimized websites for phones. Even on a screen like the GS3 i still prefer mobile optimized. You really need a 9" plus display to fully enjoy the entire web in my opinion.

So im ok with the screen size increase.;)

5. 617aircav Suspended

I agree with you 100 percent. I used to be an iPhone user until I found an android phone that did what I wanted that my iPhone couldn't do. Why complain when you are still going to buy it. Style over function I guess.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Apple guru's are alot like Cubs fans. They keep filling the seats and partying it up regardless of the product that's out there. If the White Sox put crap on the field, they stop buying tickets. 80% of fans in the seats at Wrigley don't know what the hell is going on or who 3/4's of the team is.

7. dotme macrumors 6502a

Don't mind the 16x9, but wish they could have widened it just a smidge - maybe drop that 326dpi to 300dpi and give us a little bit of an easier time reading things by adding a few mm to the width.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I wouldn't say it is exactly what I wanted b.c I had no idea they would go just longer, but I am by no means disappointed. Personally, I would still buy it at 3.5" if it had LTE and better hardware

9. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Ahhh, Cubs Fans... Can you really blame them?

Go Cardinals.

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

That's a loaded question. You are assuming I have a need for a larger phone.

(though I didn't think of the photo aspect. Does this mean I'm going to be forced to take even more wide screen photos? I already wish I could zoom in more, rarely do I want more widescreen in my photos).

11. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

This is something I'm still trying to decide on myself. I've been an Android user for a few years now and have decided that I'm going to use my current upgrade for an iPhone. I currently have an HTC Incredible II which has a 4" screen and that in combination with the overall size of the phone seems to be perfect for me. Before deciding on getting the iPhone this time, I was looking into the Galaxy s3 but it was just way too big for me when I tried it out at the store. I'm very petite so gigantic phones just aren't comfortable or ergonomic for me. (Plus, I just really didn't like the lightweight plastic-y feel it had. I know it's a very good phone but it just feels cheap and I'm afraid I'd break it.) So when I heard that the new iPhone might have a 4" screen I thought it would be absolutely perfect! ... Then I read that it would be a longer screen, which would of course make the overal phone longer, and I wasn't so sure. I don't want to feel (and look) as though I'm holding a TV remote in my hand when I'm using my phone. But I'm keeping in mind that it wouldn't lengthen the phone all that much; the current iPhone is a pretty small phone to begin with. But even so, I'm just not sure about a long screen like that. I'm sure I'll give it a try but if I just can't get into it or there aren't enough internal features to make me want to keep it, I'll exchange it for the 4S.

(Sorry for the rambling!)

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unlike you, I've never looked at my iPhones and thought wow, this screen is small. So anything bigger is a bonus for me.

Sure, there are people who have difficulty seeing, but they really need to get their eyes checked.

13. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

A bigger screen would be great for most tasks.

But at the end of the day I still need to carry this thing around for 10 hours a day in my pocket and in my hand. It works fine for me so I'll buy again.

If there was a "Yes, it's fine" option then I would've chosen that.

14. mantan macrumors 68000

The iPad mini fullfills my need for a bigger phone.

The only upside to a bigger screen is media consumption. Once the iPad came out, surfing the net, reading books, watching movies didn't cut it.

A slightly bigger 16x9 iPhone won't make me suddenly want me to consume media on it.

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Personally, yes. I don't want to lug around a tablet. I just want a phone. And if all the leaks are correct, the new 4" iPhone screen is perfect for me. It has the same width (still easy to grip with one hand for most people) and just adds more information (which will be awesome in Facebook, Twitter, iBooks, Safari and so many more content apps).

16. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, i'll still be buying the new iPhone. I need a new one after having the 4 for two years so this will have to suffice.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

See that's the odd thing. I will do more things on my SG3 than my 4s simply because the bigger screen makes it easier.

18. Dkorda macrumors 6502

All depends on form factor. So far Apple has been spot on.

19. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

The taller iPhone4 known as the iPhone5, looks absolutely ridiculous and silly. Looks like a Hershey's candy bar. Oh wow, so now, it will allow a 6th row of app icons LOL, amazing Apple will pass this off as all new and magical, and the Sheep will buy it in droves still.

iOS6 still looks so outdated, like from 2007, no widgets yet, no LED notification light, like BlackBerry has had for years. No live app icons like Windows Phone 8. The OS still has that lame Fischer Price toy theme It's a kiddy phone.

Now they make the iPhone 4 a hair taller, and razor thin, but no bigger battery. Why not keep it the same thickness as the iPhone4, but stuff in a much larger battery ?

And these leaks for the iPhone5 have been everywhere this Summer. How will Tim Cook surprise us, when he reveals the phone millions of us have seen already. Doubling down on secrecy, LOL.

I will eat my words, if Apple reveals a truly original design, like 4.3" screen, with a shape no one has a leak of yet, but highly doubtful.

20. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It does. I never expected Apple to make a huge screen on their iPhone, there are reasons for that. Also having the 16:9 ratio is a big deal to me, so I'm satisfied.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I wasn't clamoring for a bigger screen to begin with.

If I was I would have stuck with my Galaxy SII...

I can live with a 4" 16:9 however. That's close to what I had with my Nexus S 4G and I thought it had a great all around size.

22. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

What you think is "outdated" i think is solid and consistent. That's what I want from my phone. Most people agree. This is the path Apple is pursuing. That works for me. Not because I am an iSheep, but because it fits my lifestyle and workflow. I appreciate solid performance and the app echosystem more than widgets and a stupid notification light.

23. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I went with "Not Sure" because my situation wasn't a choice. I don't have a need for a larger phone. However, I also don't have the "it's perfect the way it is don't touch it" mindset.

If it's a little bigger, cool. If it's the same size, cool. I just want it to work for me - the 4S does. Hopefully the new one will too.

24. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

25. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

a 4" is welcome, but im excited about how thin it will be.