Does an eGPU work in browsers?

Loksan3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
I've been wondering if an eGPU will improve scrolling performance and 4k video playback on a 560x MBP 2018 inside Firefox/Chrome. I know that for many of you it is good enough but sometimes I see really tiny frame drops when scrolling and tearing on some pan shots on YouTube. These dropped frames are experienced on the store units as well ,but you are not as crazy as me to consider them a probelm . I've tried the 5k iMacs and they scroll like butter.
So can browsers utilize an eGPU for all tasks?
Thanks in advance :)

Ritsuka

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2006
Are you actually using the 560x or the integrated intel gpu? A browser doesn't kick in the dedicated gpu, you have to do it manually in System Preferences - > Energy Saver.

Loksan3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
Are you actually using the 560x or the integrated intel gpu? A browser doesn't kick in the dedicated gpu, you have to do it manually in System Preferences - > Energy Saver.
Yes, I have disabled the automatic graphic switching. The scrolling is as smooth as on every other MBP ,at least I think so,but not as smooth as on an iMac where it's absolutely perfect. I want to know from somebody who uses an eGPU if the browsers work with it.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
It depends on the GPU, but yes as long as the OS can utilise the hardware decoding on the GPU (The 560x does have HW support) it will work. I've got the 560x 2018 MBP and not had any trouble playing 4K on Youtube as Chrome.

I has more trouble when I started to go beyond 2160p