Does an ios upgrade do a restore as well?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miraishak, Sep 14, 2013.

1. miraishak macrumors member

just a question: when updating to a new ios from itunes and choosing "update" after connecting the iphone, does this include a restore as well? i mean after downloading the new ios and installing it on the phone, is the content of the phone erased and then restored back like what happens when we "restore"? or is the new ios just installed and we follow the setup steps on the phone?

2. blerns3 macrumors 6502

Yup, all of your information will be restored. I always back everything up right before just in case something happens, but there shouldn't be any issues.

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Just do an OTA update and you'll be fine. You can do a backup to the cloud before updating to ease your nerves :cool:

4. miraishak thread starter macrumors member

so does it matter if i get calls while the ios is downloading on the phone OTA? cuz that is always me concern! or if for any reason the wifi is out or the download on the phone is interrupted, is it able to stop and resume? or is it damaged?

----------

yeah, the only issue i have had before with a few restore attempts was some sort of conflict in calendar notes that do not match with outlook, or an erased note! so sometimes the restore process does not run very smooth!

5. OMAC83 macrumors member

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I have never had a call while updating, not sure if the phone is capable of receiving calls during an update. However I can assure you that nothing is ever permanently damaged.

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Nothing gets deleted if you update to iOS 7 via iTunes or OTA. Only way that it will restore is if you press the restore option in iTunes to upgrade.

8. miraishak thread starter macrumors member

that is just great :)
    because what i know is that some ios updates involved erasing and restoring, while others don't. did you try it with ios 7?

btw, by phone is not jail broken and it is running ios 6.1.3

9. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I do remember (I think) that when upgrading to iOS 5 you had to restore.

10. miraishak thread starter macrumors member

yes, because OTA was not available. OTA appeared after installing ios 5. before that, it had to be through itunes.