Does any one use Onyx?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by sliceoftoast, Nov 3, 2017.

1. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

Hi world,

Does anyone use Onyx to perform maintenance on their Mac's running High Sierra or Sierra? Every time I run the Automation tool (even if I run each task individually) my Messages database gets deleted. Thus looking like I've just installed OS X

Has anyone had this happen before?

2. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

I don't use it nowadays, but I did use it once quite a few years ago. It messed quite a few things up for me (I forget exactly what) - possibly as a result of me not knowing how to use it properly at the time. Either way, I decided it was best to leave it alone and rely on Disk Utility and the mysterious inner workings of macOS to look after my Mac - never really had a problem since.

3. Princess Cake macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

I use OnyX myself as it feels like giving my mac an enema, its the only real "clean-up" software I've ever used. As for messages I can't say as I don't use it... however when using Automation you want to be very careful with what you have selected (I suggest not even using automation) as one time I had the Adobe fonts cache selected for clean-up and it ended up screwing my pirat..... legally purchased Adobe CS6 suit and I had to reinstall the whole thing.

4. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

I think that's sort of my point. It's exceptionally easy to mess things up royally with an ill-judged click.

5. boultonn macrumors newbie

boultonn

Used it for years and years, never had any problems with maintenance or cleanup tools.
    As for the rest of the features, it's so good, making dock items semi-transparent when hidden, allowing half-star rating in itunes. Great application

6. Princess Cake macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

...thats Tinkertool, ya goof xD

7. sliceoftoast thread starter macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

Thanks for the inputs team, I've used it for years my self. I've never had this happen before. It seems to have started (guys in IT will understand these two words) ever since I did a fresh reload of macOS Sierra. I thought upgrading to High Sierra would fix any corruptions but clearly not.

Only way I can get the messages back is to manually get them out of a time machine backup and put them back in ~/library/Messages

8. RednBlue macrumors regular

RednBlue

I use it fairly regularly and haven't encountered any problems with messages database.

9. fisherking macrumors 604

fisherking

i've used it since... the 1800s? (well, a long time). necessary? maybe not. but i've had no such issue (and i use messages a lot on my mac)....

10. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

I usually hold off on Onyx for the first few months after an OS release. I find they miss a few things and it’s a software that really shouldn’t miss anything if it’s doing it’s job correctly. They eventually sort it out though.

11. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

I used to use it. I now don’t any more. I consider most apps on the Mac for maintence to not be needed. Apple provides you most of the tools you need to keep their system running well.