Does anyone actually like Siri?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by likemyorbs, Mar 13, 2012.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I read a lot of siri hate on these forums and hear it from people in real life, but i don't get why. I know it's a beta product and all, but it actually works really well for me. I use siri all the time, and its even more useful with the extensions if you're jailbroken. I'm using it on an iPhone 4 and it picks up my voice accurately 95% of the time. I think if people got themselves in the habit of it, they would use it much more. At this point i don't think i would want my phone to be without it. Is there anyone else who uses siri regularly and actually likes it? I can't even imagine how great it will be when it's updated and comes out of beta.

2. ah123 macrumors regular

I tell Siri I love it all the time. It always fobs me off, telling me it's not able to love me :-(

More seriously - I have found some good uses for it, and some gimmicky ones. I think once it comes out of beta (if...), it'll actually be useful for me on a daily basis.

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I definitely think it will come out of beta. Apple is putting a lot of resources into it to refine it, also I'm pretty sure the reason they released a public beta was to collect a database of all the question people actually ask and make sure no question is unanswered.

4. mms13 macrumors 6502

I don't use it super often, but sometimes it's helpful. I mostly use it for texting (especially while driving via bluetooth), playing music, and setting alarms (I'll wake up tired and go "mmehhhh wake me up in 20 minutes"...much more conveinent than grabbing my phone off the table, going into clock, and setting it myself).

5. ap3604, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

No hate for it here. I don't use it all the time, but when I do it's useful.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I pretty much only use it to find music while driving.

I've tried all the other uses but never ended up using them more than 2 or 3 times.

But even for just one use, it's useful to have.

8. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

I'd like to think that it'll come out of beta, and open it's functionality to more territories.
    But for me in the UK, when I use it (and it understands me correctly) it's perfect.

Whilst out running, driving, in cold weather.. when I need to use my iPhone handsfree. It's fantastic!

Then of course, you can entertain friends/family with easter eggs too!

But, to be using it excessively throughout the day? Siri isn't perfect, and it doesn't always get things right (can make the simplest of tasks 3x longer).

But, when you get the hang of it, you'll love it!

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Maybe when "The New iPhone" is released?

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Use it every day it's great!

12. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If you're jailbroken you should try hands-free control. that was you don't even have to press the home button to activate siri, you just have to mumble "siri" when you're half asleep. It even has a setting where it's only active when your phone is charging.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I use Siri sparingly, mostly when I'm too tired to hunt & peck at the touch keyboard...

14. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

The problem is that it's a beta product, but Apple has built their 4S marketing campaign around it. People aren't used to beta-testing Apple products, so when it doesn't work like it does in the commercials, you get lawsuits and un-satisfied customers.

15. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

I never use it. Maybe when it is perfected, but for now I find it to unreliable. A lot of times it's just quicker to type. To me Siri is a gimmick.

16. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

bingo!

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

The reason I think this is because a lot of people don't see the 4S as a full new model. So when "The New iPhone" comes out, maybe it will be released with the full "New Siri".

18. ap3604, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  19. bollyboy macrumors regular

Agree :)

20. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Might be a decent feature, but I would probably still prefer tomtom or garmin. I'd rather have the maps already downloaded on the phone.

21. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The issue i have with this tweak is that often even an unconnected word or sound can activate it even when set to strict. Also it tends to chew on my battery.

22. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah thats why I have the while charging only option activated. I only charge it while I sleep and it's next to me on my night stand in a quiet room, so it works great for that and doesn't eat the battery.

23. eikast macrumors member

I think that Siri has its uses, but I didn't upgrade to the 4S for Siri. It was mostly due to the upgraded processor

24. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use Siri on a regular basis, and use the dictation feature even more. It probably works 99% of the time for me. That is probably because I am not located in a major metropolitan area though.

25. Dented macrumors 6502a

I like Siri when it works, but being in the UK I'm quite disappointed that we're still in "beta" with no sign of that changing - which means no local business lookup etc. I'm sick of hearing that "I'm sorry, but I can only..." message, especially when half the time it's misunderstood what I was asking for anyway.

Having owned the 4S since launch day, it's bothered me for a while that in Apple's definition of beta software, there's no real encouragement for the beta testers (ie us) to feed back their results, and no roadmap of any kind for where this or any subsequent beta should be going.. I had naively hoped that the beta status would be a short term thing, but it's now eating significantly into the lifetime of the 4S, with zero acknowledgment that this will ever in fact change..