Does anyone else dislike standard apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mach250, Dec 31, 2011.

1. mach250 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I really have no use for about half of the pre loaded apps so they just get tucked away in a folder to be forgotten about for the life of my phone. Like newsstand, useless weather app, YouTube, or the contacts app

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I haven't used Newsstand yet, but probably will at some point
    The others you mentioned get a fair amount of use from me, especially Contacts

3. mach250 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It just bugs me cause I can just hit the phone button and get to the contacts screen...unless there's some benefit of the contacts app...

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not sure why that would bug you
    You have two ways to get to the same info, and choice is good
    Typically when I am using Contacts, it has nothing to do with the phone
    So the phone isn't the first thing I am thinking

5. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I have to admit that it would be really be great if you could choose to delete some of the standard apps if you wanted to...

The ones I never use:

Stocks (I live in South Africa, its totally useless to me)
    Voice Memos (Just not my thing)

and why can't we hide Newsstand in a folder if we don't want to use it?

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You can put Newsstand in a folder there's just a certain trick to it, I can't remember what you need to do but a google search should tell you how.

I have newsstand in a folder so there is a way.

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Because it's redundant. Choice and redundancy are not the same thing.

8. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Thanks for this info. I finally have Newsstand tucked into a folder now on my iPhone.

cheers

----------

nonsense. having the contacts app is essential. If my friend asks me for a person's work email and I need to look it up you suggest that I should open my phone app to look it up?

crazy

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah it would be nice if we could hide these apps in Settings. I never use Contacts, Newsstand or Stocks

----------

For some reason I can't seem to get that trick to work. I create a new folder by dropping one app on another and quickly drop newsstand into that folder but it just won't go inside. I used to be able to do it

10. Liquinn Suspended

I caan relate to this. On several of my iOs devices it gets boring looking at icons of apps I rarely use; such as YouTube, iTunes etc. I'd love to remove that damn iTunes app but I don't think you can which is very annoying.

Ahh well; nothing I can do about it I suppose ^.^

Life goes on :p

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Make a folder and put all the stuff you do not want in it and move it off you main page. DONE.

This is what happens when iOS gets "long at the tooth".

Not much has changed on the home screen from the first iPhone to today's 4S.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I use the youtube and weather app ... contacts one and newsstand ... not so much. But i don't "dislike" them ... just don't use it thats all

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Choice is good... except I don't have the choice to remove the apps that I deem useless. All of the sudden I no longer have choice, right? :rolleyes:

14. summitRun macrumors regular

stop making sense...dont you know Apple knows best? :rolleyes:

15. TWD98j macrumors regular

Yeah I have one folder that I named "Native" and I stuffed all the preloaded apps I don't use (clock, weather, stocks, compass, reminders, voice memos) and can't delete in there.

I hear ya about the contacts app, as I rarely use it myself. But it comes in handy when I'm on the phone and need to look up someone's contact info.

I tend to not use the YouTube app so much, as I much much rather use the mobile YouTube site, from the safari browser, to fulfill all my YouTube needs. I think it's pure laziness on someone's part that the YouTube app has not seen a single update since the original launch. If I could delete the YouTube app, I would.

16. mach250 thread starter macrumors member

Quick folder creation worked to get the useless newsstand outta view

17. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

18. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I never use and have the following in a folder all by their lonesome on my last page (along with Newstand beside the folder..Voice Memos, Stocks, Game Center

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here, stuff that I never use are Newstand, Voice Memos, Stocks, Game Center, itunes, compass and notes.

20. derickdub macrumors 6502

I have email address, twitter handles, Facebook usernames, relationships to me, flickr accounts, birthdays, and addresses in addition to phone numbers stored with many of my contacts. It's just like the contacts app on any other phone/device and is an interface to store and input information that can be used by other apps.

I will agree though that there should be some way to "turn off" or hide these unused apps. The problem is some of them are used by other apps that may be seen as useful, and disabling them would affect the performance of the said "useful" app.

21. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Really? Not saying contacts app isn't needed for some but is it really that hard to hit the phone icon then go to contacts? Is that .02 seconds it saves you really going to make or break a deal? If you really need to find it fast wouldn't it be easier to use search as it goes right to that number?

22. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

So I have found how to do it and it works... Here's the work around: To hide Newsstand simply drag one app onto another to make a folder (neither of these should be Newsstand). Then whilst the folder is being created quickly drag Newsstand into it. Simple(ish).

23. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

The fact that you have to go through all that jusy to put the newstand app in a folder is laughable. ..so much for intuitive....

24. PJ. macrumors regular

I must admit this is one of my two biggest grips with iOS - we should be able to delete/hide Pre loaded apps, I take it you can't do it when you sync it on iTunes can you?

The other one is not having folders in email but that's for another thread.

PJ

25. cynics macrumors G3

This is called manufacture bloat. Jailbreaking is required for ios and rooting for android.

I really wish apple would at least follow what google did and give you the ability to disable and hide apps.

Be better to have ability to just delete it in the first place but that's a different topic.