Does anyone else feel like the MacBook is kind of slow and not very snappy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hieveryone, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Hieveryone, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I saw one today for the first time in the Apple store.

Pros:

1) Gold looks awesome

2) The 12" screen isn't too small to use at all

3) It's really portable. To me, it's basically as portable as an iPad.

4) Screen is beautiful, as beautiful as everyone is raving about

5) Keyboard isn't as bad as people are saying

6) New Trackpad feels GREAT

7) the new hinge, when opening and closing the lid feels like BUTTER. Super nice!

Cons:

1) It's slow. I have a 13" 2.6/8/256 MBPr and comparatively loading apps like iMovie, calendar, "about this mac", etc has a pretty noticeable lag.

2) It feels heavier than everyone on YouTube is saying

3) It just doesn't seem powerful enough to really do anything with it except watch Netflix and take notes in class.

4) You know this'll be on eBay worth way less when gen 2 is out

2. lch6257 macrumors member

My 2013 rMBP pro feels like an antique after using this machine. It is plenty fast for all I do as a system architect. I have had zero issues. Make sure you test on 10.10.3 Yosemite. It is very "snappy" for me.

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

What?!?

I felt like the new MB was like an antique relative to my 2.6/8/256 MBPr in terms of the general slowness.

My MBPr is faster and snappier...

They need to make the MBPr the same form factor as the MB but still 13 inches and keep the ports too.

EDIT: I'm not a system architect, yet the MB STILL didn't feel like enough power for my use.

4. phas3 macrumors 65816

difference you feel in how fast the MBPr compared to the MBr is right, the MBPr has a much better processor compared to the Intel Core M. However, it is still quiet snappy for it's form.

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I'm sure for its form, it is snappy. But this is just a personal opinion-

The MBPr is not THAT much less portable to where I would sacrifice horsepower under the hood.

That's just my opinion though.

6. tecnho macrumors 6502

What is your use?

7. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Nothing demanding. But even when loading apps like iMovie I felt the lag relative to my MBPr.

8. phas3 macrumors 65816

I agree, I think of the new MB really for those that do very light work on a laptop, you know just web surfing, videos, doing paper etc. It's perfect for college students and the likes.

I personally sold my rMBP late 2013 to get the 12" macbook, the most taxing application I use is VMWARE.

----------

I think your experience would be different from an in store display compared to one just out of the box.

When I was at Best Buy the other day I actually compared the 2015 MBP alongside the new MB, didn't do heavy testing but I compared how many apps needed to be open until the MB starts to struggle. Compared to the MBP which was 5 apps open until I noticed some lag the MB started to struggle while opening the 4th app.

9. nj-mac-user, Apr 20, 2015

nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Wow... is that REALLY how you're determining it's speed?? All you're doing there is loading apps which show disk speed, and the read speeds are the same if not faster than your 13" rMBP. It's something else.

I think you need to actually play with it more outside of a store before coming to that [completely false] conclusion.

10. lch6257 macrumors member

Not sure what you are doing with your machine, but it sounds like it could use a bit of tuning. LOL

Ports for what? WiFI backups work fine...Dont need any stinking ports.

----------

He is compiling binary..lol

----------

I don't now about slow. Maybe the problem is PEBCAK. I am using mine to run a $1,000,000,000 patient care system without any problems related to the machine. Yosemite is a different story, but that is not a rMB issue.

11. Hieveryone, Apr 20, 2015

Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I run business and while the MB is nice, it isn't enough for me.

I need ports for external displays etc, especially for my business.

I need my machine to be blazing fast.

But...

If it's enough for your business, which it sounds like it is, great.

----------

Well this was just in store. But still the display model should be same.

If in fact it's slow from many people using it, then over time you can expect your new MB to perform the same way...

EDIT: But I don't want to make it seem like it's a bad machine by any means. It just seems slower than the MBPr. Other than that and no ports, it's a superior device.

In and of itself, I'd give it a solid B. Maybe even a B+ on a day I'm feeling generous.

12. junkw macrumors regular

Did you check read/write ssd speed with `BlackMagic'

13. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Nope. This was in the Apple Store.

14. lch6257 macrumors member

The macbook is slower than a macbook pro? Who would have thought? LOL
    I give it an A-. The store models are all running 10.10.2. Take a peek, the machine is butter on 10.10.3. Bad code= Bad Perf. Why even look at a MB if you need all that processor? I would imagine for gaming and heavy video editing, this is not your machine but for running citrix VM's and all kinds of ordinary tasks it is more than up to the job.

15. tecnho macrumors 6502

I find this hard to believe, based on username alone.

If by some miracle you are at the helm of a multi-million dollar corp, I think it is time to start delegating.

16. Hieveryone, Apr 20, 2015

Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I guess you're saying it CAN do the job just fine while I'm saying it CAN do it, but HOW WELL it does it makes all the difference ;)

17. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Probably needs the speed for eBay

Maybe his zero-key got stuck and he meant to say an $80 business - buying and selling his stuff on eBay. Hey, you need a really fast machine to get those last-second bids in! ;)

18. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

I'm not sure if my koolaid isn't as strong as some of yours, but my rMB 1.2 GHz is pretty slow. I expected it coming from a 2013 i7 rMBP. I thought it would be fine for my general school-related tasks (web browsing, MS word, photos, etc) but it's actually kind of disappointing. PDFs in preview are verrry slow. Scrolling, zooming, everything. Borderline unusable. I actually downloaded MS Office preview 2016 thinking it would be fast and efficient, boy was I wrong. The text input lagged, scrolling lagged, UI lagged...it was horrible. I downgraded to MS office 2011 which is a little better. Scrolling still clearly taxes this machine. The new photos app just refuses to work with my 80GB photos library. I launch the app, a blank window opens, and there it sits until I force quit it.

Let's hope for some serious software updates to iron out some of these kinks before my 14 days is up. Otherwise, I might need to return it and go for a new 13" rMBP. Yeah, the form factor, screen, trackpad, and battery life are great. But I can get all of those (minus the ridiculous low weight) in a 13" rMBP.

I'm not sure the Core M is up to daily tasks to be honest. I'm not sure if Apple rushed this design, or if they're really placing this much emphasis on form over function. The performance is not what anyone who used a recent MacBook (air or pro) would expect. We've all seen the benchmarks. The rMB is the same as a 2011 Air, or an iPad Air. And it feels like it. There's no going around that. We'll see what happens I guess, but for now, consider me unimpressed.

19. phas3 macrumors 65816

Very interesting, what version of OS are you on?

20. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

10.10.3 (14d136)

21. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Are you running Mac OS 10.10.2 or 10.10.3?

Are you running Mac OS 10.10.3 out of interest?

22. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

Yes, 10.10.3 (14D136). All software up to date. Only using Safari (no Chrome), and I don't even have Flash installed.

23. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

So let me summarize:

1. You have played with a display rMB in a store for 10-15 minutes
    2. You quickly concluded that your MBP is superior and rMB is not "powerful enough" (for what you don't truly know)
    3. You have decided to create a worthless thread listing your poorly articulated conclusions and haphazard assertions.

Congrats - your mission is accomplished.

24. hypno macrumors regular

This * 8,000,000

25. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

I've owned mine for nearly a week and I agree with everything he said. I think some people are really convincing themselves that this is a capable machine. In reality, I can't see many people owning this computer for many years to come. As soon as there's a considerable upgrade, people will flock to it. This really feels like a hardware beta test and I'm a paying participant. Rev 2 will be great though. I really didn't want to believe the analogy between the rMB and the Rev 1/Rev 2 MBA but having used the machine for several days, I can easily make that case.