Does anyone else find this hilarious?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Michael Goff, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/eric-cantor-immigration-reform-call-obama

Interesting. You don't attack people you hope to have a serious dialogue with? It's like they haven't been paying attention to themselves for the last five or so years.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I mentioned this in the Republican Agenda thread, page #53, post #1297. My perspective is that Cantor holds himself up on pedestal exempt from his own rules of engagement as if these are the rules, why should President Obama engage him at all? Answer: because the President does not play by the Majority Leader's childish standards.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

This has happened enough times as to be routine. Why would Obama expect a difference answer? Sounds to me like a play to help publicize the Rep stance on immigration reform. We'll know it's the case if other politically costly issues are similarly vented.

It's going to be a long year...

5. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

His context makes perfect sense because he considers himself and the Republican Party to be superior to President Obama, the Democratic Party or anyone else that disagrees with the RP. Marvel at the mastery of manipulative conjecture that deflects from your own hypocrisy! It's a circus where everyone wants to be ringleader and they will tell you the most amazing bs because they know if you're listening then they've already won.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The President is the LEADER of this country. It is his job to bring the parties together to broker solutions. Unfortunately, this President has no leadership experience. He never was governor of a state, never mayor of a city and never troop leader in the Boy Scouts. He was a first term senator not even leader of any committees.

It was a grand experiment but it failed. Even the left does not hold this president up as a leader. Leaders are accountable. Leaders are responsible. No one holds this president accountable or responsible for anything because they know that he is not a leader.

There will be opposition but a leader is able to work with it. Rather than lines in the sand or demands that the Congress bow to his will, he needs to work toward common ground. President Obama prefers to insult the Republicans and then demand that they acquiesce to his whims. It isn't happening nor is it likely to change before the end of his term.

You never hear Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid being blamed for anything that happened during the last two years of George W Bush's term. But we sure hear John Boehner blamed for everything that has happened during Barack H Obama's term.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a lovely day to resurrect all the talking points. Happy Easter and/or 4/20. :D

8. Michael Goff thread starter Suspended

Michael Goff

This message is approved by the GOP.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From Eric Cantor's quote ...

Obama isn't the only person drawing lines in the sand.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I was just thinking that if President Obama was a real leader he'd be able to convert the GOP into Democrats. What's wrong with him?? :p

----------

Hilarious! :)

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

President Obama is the leader. He is the one who has to figure out a way to make offers that they cannot refuse. It's his job to LEAD. There will always be those that disagree with him. He needs to be the master of the win-win situation. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be a skill that he has in arsenal.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Is Obama the President or the Capo di tutti capi?

I think you might have the two positions confused.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It sounds like we all agree that President Obama is a failure. We are just disputing WHY he is a failure and his presidency has failed.

14. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Aslong as we can also agree that the (current) congress is a failure too :p

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This post is a failure.

Obama hasn't been perfect but he has done some good things.

He could have done a hell of a lot more if Republicans would have been willing to work with him. Instead, the Republicans have done nothing but obstruct since January 20, 2009. He wasn't even given a chance.

You can't sit there and try to sabotage everything the President has done since the day he was inaugurated and then point fingers solely at him. Like I said, if the Republicans had been willing to work with him, they'd have a leg to stand on. But when you come out and declare your "top political priority is to deny President Obama a 2nd term" and you go against and block nearly every thing he tries to do, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Keep trumpeting that party line though.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You can't have it both ways. Either the Congress has caused the President to fail, in which case his presidency is a failure or they haven't. I keep hearing that this House has made the President fail. So is it a failed presidency or not?

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd call him a disappointment.

I hoped he'd be more staunchly liberal and fight harder for progressive policies.

But we saw failure in the previous president.

Obama has been better than that.

----------

Not.

:rolleyes:

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Okay, a disappointment. Got it.

19. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Hmmmm, where I have I seen this before? Where?

Oh, that's right, first chapter in the GOP handbook. "Insult. Demand. Deflect."

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He should have told the Republicans to screw themselves even more forcefully.

I was disappointed that he didn't.

21. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

False. He's the leader of the Executive Branch.

--

Wasn't aware being a troop leader in the Boy Scouts makes you qualified (for anything, really).
    --

Although Obama has not done enough as most would have liked (yes, including the left), he has gone in the right direction (albeit rather slowly).

22. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

In my book for something to be called a failure there had to have been a reasonable chance of success.

The GOP made it pretty clear from day one that their top priority was to make sure Obama didn't succeed in getting any of his policies through.

As it seems right now, he did succeed in getting healthcare reformed (sure only halfway, but better than nothing) making him a success and the GOP a total failure in that regard.

The GOP controlled house on the other side was a complete failure leading up, through and afterwards that sequester-shutdown.

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Well, Congressional approval rating is under 20%. More of America considers Congress a failure than the President.

This Presidency hasn't been perfect, but many good things have happened. Here's a few highlights:

- Iraq war is over.
    - Afghanistan is ending this year.
    - Bin laden is dead.
    - The deficit has been cut in half since his inauguration and will be less than a 1/3rd of what it was when he started by the time he leaves.
    - No longer can insurance companies deny anyone with a "preexisting condition".
    - Affordable insurance is available to millions of people who couldn't get it before. 8+ million people have already signed up.
    - Started to turn the country around from the great recession. We aren't quite there yet because of the income inequality problem, but we are better off than we were in 2008. The stock market hit an all-time high earlier this year.
    - Stimulus plan helped create nearly 4 million jobs, improve our infrastructure, and help with that recovery.
    - Passed Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. Not perfect by any means but it's a step in the right direction.
    - Saved tons of American manufacturing jobs by saving GM. GM already paid off it's bailout and is now making better products than they were before.
    - No more "don't ask, don't tell". First President to be for same-sex equality and civil rights for ALL.
    - Increased support for our veterans and the VA multiple times.
    - Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay act ensuring protections for equal pay for women.
    - Credit card reforms for consumer protections.
    - Started cutting antiquated and bloated parts of our military to invest more in cyber-security and preventing cyber-warfare.

I could go on but I'm not going to waste my time talking to a pile of bricks.

Here's a few links with more:
    http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/ma...mas_top_50_accomplishments035755.php?page=all
    http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/0...sident-obamas-accomplishments-with-citations/
    http://whattheheckhasobamadonesofar.com/

Has it been perfect? No. There are definitely things that could and should have been done differently, the biggest relating to the NSA & Patriot acts. Some foreign policy things could have been handled better. But all in all, he's done many good things, and considering the unprecedented opposition and obstruction from day one, it's actually pretty impressive if you take your party blinders off and actually look at the accomplishments. He sure as hell has been better than either of the alternatives would have been.

I'm done wasting my time. Happy 4/20. :D

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This is an important point.

The Executive Branch is not supposed to be more powerful or more responsible for governing than the Legislative or Judicial Branch.

Southern Dad appears to desire a dictatorship ... a common sentiment among those with a tendency toward authoritarianism.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And what should leaders do with insurrectionists, firing squad? ;)